Is the Transformer in My Adapter Damaged? A Question for Physics Assignment

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an AC transformer in an experimental model. The person is using an AC/AC step down adapter to step the voltage down from 240V to 12V and then further to 6.0V~ using their model. However, after some time, the adapter stopped working and the person is unsure why. There is a discussion about the number of primary turns and possible causes of vibrations in the iron core when current flows through. The conversation ends with the person thanking the others for their help and asking how to close the thread.
Sora no tori
Hi guys, I am rather new here and would like to pose a question about transformers.
As physics assignment I am supposed to make a model of an AC transformer, for which I grabbed an AC/AC step down adapter (something like these here: http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...internal-off-board/ac-ac-wall-adapters/590573) , my model (with coils on two sides around a soft iron core) and a multimeter. So I cut open the wire in the AC to AC adapter (230V to 12V 0.7A) and plugged in my adapter which would be connected to my model's primary coils, and the secondary coils would then be connected to my multimeter. My multimeter showed that it stepped about 12~V down to 6.0 V for coil ratio of 50:100, so I thought it was fine, until the adapter kind of stopped functioning.
My question is: Is anything wrong? Did the transformer in the adapter spoil due to a short circuit or something? If so how do I fix it/ prevent it if I get a new adapter? Please do help me out, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's anybody's guess as to what's going on.
Am I right in thinking that you have made your own adapter? What did it consist of? That could be highly relevant.

Uhh so basically the adapter is bought to step the voltage down from 240V (from wall plug) to a safe experimental 12V 0.7A AC current, and then I use my model like the one in the link below to step it down further to 6.0v~. Basically I am required to demonstrate how a AC transformer works through my model, and my adapter to give me lowered voltage AC current kind of stopped working after some time and I am unsure why. My guess is that there is no resistors and the heat from short circuit messed up something, but I ain't sure so I am asking: Why did the adapter kind of stopped working? (The adapter which was bought, not my transformer model)
Then again, I used about 0.6mm thick copper wire coated with enamel for my model, and coiled 100 primary coils and 50 secondary coils around a soft iron core.
Hopefully this clarifies my problem. :)

(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...3d_col3.svg/1280px-Transformer3d_col3.svg.png)

It seems to me that your transformer, despite having the right turns ratio, has too few primary turns and its primary inductance is too low - allowing far too much current to flow, even with the transformer unloaded. Try ten times the number of turns and see how it works then.

Likes Sora no tori
Hmm... I'll take that into account. Thanks a lot for your help. On another note, what causes the vibrations through the iron core when the current flows through??

Sora no tori said:
Hmm... I'll take that into account. Thanks a lot for your help. On another note, what causes the vibrations through the iron core when the current flows through??

Are the vibrations of the same frequency as the AC voltage?

Likes Sora no tori
anorlunda said:
Are the vibrations of the same frequency as the AC voltage?
Twice the frequency, actually (most likely). There is a max in the current amplitude, twice every AC cycle and those peaks of striction within the core are at twice the frequency of the AC.

sophiecentaur said:
Twice the frequency, actually (most likely). There is a max in the current amplitude, twice every AC cycle and those peaks of striction within the core are at twice the frequency of the AC.

I don't think so. I believe the vibrations he asked about is actually the power line hum. See below from Wikipedia. It is the fundamental, not the first harmonic that we hear.

Mains_hum_spectrum.png

Hm... Thanks a lot guys. :) How do I close this thread though? My queries have pretty much been answered.

Edit: Ok wait the vibration thing is kind of confusing though. Which is it? :O
I did check the hum sound out, it kind of sounds like the hum along the power lines.

anorlunda said:
I don't think so. I believe the vibrations he asked about is actually the power line hum. See below from Wikipedia. It is the fundamental, not the first harmonic that we hear.
I find that very surprising, bearing in mind that a transformer is not like a loudspeaker voice coil (i.e. there is no permanent magnet to set up a 'reference' H Field). Where is the direction to a force that will change with the polarity of the AC? I would seriously have expected mostly second harmonic.
It may be that the transformer sound spectrum picture is from a three phase power transformer, which I might have expected to produce sound at the fundamental frequency. The fact that there is a strong peak at the third harmonic seems to confirm my suspicion.

Sora no tori said:
Hm... Thanks a lot guys. :) How do I close this thread though? My queries have pretty much been answered.

you don't need to just leave it as is :smile:

thankyou for saying thanks to those that helped :smile:

Dave

1. What is a transformer in an adapter?

A transformer is an electrical component that is used to convert or change the voltage of an electrical signal. In an adapter, the transformer is responsible for converting the high voltage from an outlet to the low voltage required by the electronic device being used.

2. Why is a transformer necessary in an adapter?

A transformer is necessary in an adapter because it helps to protect electronic devices from receiving too much voltage. Without a transformer, the high voltage from an outlet could damage or even destroy the device.

3. How does a transformer work in an adapter?

A transformer works by using electromagnetic induction to transfer electrical energy from one circuit to another. In an adapter, the transformer has two sets of coils, a primary and a secondary, that are wrapped around an iron core. When an alternating current (AC) flows through the primary coil, it creates a magnetic field which induces a current in the secondary coil, thus converting the voltage.

4. Can a transformer in an adapter be replaced?

Yes, a transformer in an adapter can be replaced. However, it is important to make sure that the replacement transformer has the same voltage and current ratings as the original one. Using a mismatched transformer can damage the electronic device.

5. Are there different types of transformers used in adapters?

Yes, there are different types of transformers used in adapters. The most common types are step-up transformers, which increase the voltage, and step-down transformers, which decrease the voltage. There are also autotransformers, which have a single coil and can be used for both stepping up and stepping down the voltage.