Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Transformer in Non-inertial frame

1. Nov 19, 2017 #1
    In this example I'd like to know about the output of the transformer. What happens if an electromagnetic transformer is powered by a sine-wave and simultaneously accelerating at non-relativistic speeds?

I assume the output will still be a sine-wave but the frequency will change. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2017 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

What is the source of this sine wave and what frame are you using when you specify its frequency?
    Because frequencies are always frame-dependent, it is never sufficient to speak of the frequency of something without also specifying the frame you're using. Chances are that when you say "the frequency" you mean either "the frequency using an inertial frame in which the transformer is momentarily at rest" or "the frequency using the non-inertial frame in which the transformer is always at rest".... but you'll have to tell us which it is.

4. Nov 19, 2017 #3

Dale

Acceleration isn’t part of circuit theory.

This would be a hard problem to solve with Maxwell’s equations outside of a dedicated numerical solver.

5. Nov 19, 2017 #4

David Lewis

Gold Member

Nothing. The equipment to which the transformer is connected is usually at rest with respect to the transformer.

6. Nov 20, 2017 #5
    A more specific and detailed scenario; the transformer and generator are placed on a play-swing and the ouput is connected to an oscilloscope placed directly in the center of the swing's trajectory. There are leads that connect the output to the scope. The oscilloscope will see a frequency modulated sine-wave?

7. Nov 20, 2017 #6

Dale

I think that you will need to get a dedicated numerical solver to determine this.

8. Nov 20, 2017 #7

A transformer is a passive component, like a resistor. Neither can change the frequency of the signal going trough them.

A diode is an active component, it can generate frequencies, by distorting the input signal. A generator is very likely an active component - it generates an output signal, while the input signal does not exist - or something like that.

I suggest that instead of a generator we use an oscillator made of a capacitor and an inductor. We put the oscillator on a swing, and we can connect the oscillator to a transformer too - I just don't see any point in that because the frequency does not change.

I got my information about passive and active components from here:
    https://electronics.stackexchange.c...tiation-between-passive-and-active-components

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted