1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformer Line/Load ratio

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (in picture)

2. Relevant equations
    V=IZ

3. The attempt at a solution
    So last time I had to do KCL to find voltages, so I want to make sure I'm doing this one right. Can I do voltage division and do Vload/VG?

My division would be VG(500<36.87)/(500<36.87 + 60<53.13)

But that approach seems incredibly simply when normally, these problems have some more work involved . . .

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

It's an early problem in the chapter, so it is probably just that simple to provide voltage division across the load. Confirm you don't need to use complex conjugate for power across load.

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3
    Really? So I got VL as 11.83<-1.726. The ratio is a complex number, but the real part is 0.89 . . . That seems incredibly good? Is it too good?

And for the second part of the question (distribution losses), I'm assuming V^2/R over the Zline component, ignoring the "imaginary" portion of the impedance because it's power losses . . .

5. Apr 8, 2015 #4

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Your answer looks correct to me. And it looks good. It is supposed to look good. The low losses are due to the low resistance of the power lines (delivery system) of the grid. Power lost on the line doesn't get metered and sold.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted