How Does Transformer Impedance Impact Primary Voltage and Current Calculations?

In summary: I1I1 = -5.158*cos(0.9)Finally, using the given power factor of 0.9 lagging, we can calculate the values of V1 and I1 as:V1 = 3.1875 + 1.968375*(-5.158)*cos(0.9) = 302.53 VI1 = -5.158*cos(0.9) = -4.988 AIn summary, using KVL and equivalent impedances, we have calculated the primary voltage V1 to be 302.53 V and the primary current I1 to be -4.988 A. I hope this
cs23

Homework Statement

A Single phase transformer has primary to secondary ratio of 2, its primary R1=0.05 ohms,X1=0.25ohms and the secondary R2=0.02ohms and X2=0.03ohms. The paramet of the magentizing branch referred to the primary side are Rc1=2kohms and Xm1=500 ohms. The secondary load current I2=85 A at V2=220V and 0.9 power factor lagging. Calculate the primary voltage V1 and Current I1.

Homework Equations

kvl,Req and Xeq

The Attempt at a Solution

I took KVl of the right side loop and got V1+Z-aV2. Then i found z using Req + JXeq. But I'm getting confused on how to use the power lagging

Physics news on Phys.org
factor to find the values of V1 and I1. Can someone help me out with this?

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. After examining the given parameters, I have come up with the following solution:

First, we can calculate the equivalent impedance of the secondary load using the given values of R2 and X2. This gives us Z2 = 0.0375 + j0.03 ohms. Now, using the transformer turns ratio of 2, we can calculate the equivalent impedance referred to the primary side as Z1 = (Z2/2)^2 = 0.009375 + j0.0075 ohms.

Next, we can calculate the equivalent impedance of the magnetizing branch referred to the primary side using the given values of Rc1 and Xm1. This gives us Zm1 = 1.959 + j0.49 ohms.

Now, using KVL in the right side loop, we can write the following equation:

V1 - I1(Z1 + Zm1) = V2

Substituting the calculated values of Z1 and Zm1, we get:

V1 - I1(0.009375 + j0.0075 + 1.959 + j0.49) = 220

Simplifying this equation, we get:

V1 - I1(1.968375 + j0.4975) = 220

Since we know that the secondary load current is 85 A at a power factor of 0.9 lagging, we can write the following equation:

V2 = I2Z2*cos(θ)

Where θ is the angle between the voltage and current in the secondary circuit, which in this case is the power factor angle of 0.9 lagging. Substituting the given values, we get:

220 = 85*(0.0375 + j0.03)*cos(0.9)

Simplifying this equation, we get:

220 = 3.1875 + j2.565*cos(0.9)

Now, we can equate the real and imaginary parts of the two equations we have derived to get:

V1 - 1.968375I1 = 3.1875

-0.4975I1 = 2.565*cos(0.9)

Solving these equations, we get:

V1 =

1. What is a transformer?

A transformer is an electrical device that is used to change the voltage of an alternating current (AC). It consists of two or more coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary windings, which are wrapped around an iron core.

2. How does a transformer work?

A transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an alternating current flows through the primary winding, it creates a changing magnetic field around the iron core. This changing magnetic field induces an alternating current in the secondary winding, resulting in a change in voltage.

3. What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage from the primary winding to the secondary winding, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage. Other types include isolation transformers, autotransformers, and distribution transformers.

4. What are the applications of transformers?

Transformers are used in a wide range of applications, including power distribution, electric motors, audio equipment, and electronic devices. They are also used in industrial settings for welding, electrolysis, and heating.

5. What are the factors to consider when selecting a transformer?

When selecting a transformer, some important factors to consider include the input and output voltage and current, power rating, frequency, and efficiency. The type of insulation and cooling system may also be important depending on the intended use of the transformer.