Transformer short circuit test ?

In summary, the conversation discussed a transformer with nominal data of 10k/0.4k kV/kV and 100kVA. A short circuit test was performed with one side shortened and the other fed with 500 volts, resulting in a current of 10A and power of 1kW. It was then asked what the current and voltage should be if the other side was shortened and a power of 1kW was desired. The solution involved calculating Z_k, R_k, and X_k and determining that the voltage should be 70.7V and the current should be 10A.
dislect
Hi guys,

After doing some reading on transformers and reading solved examples there was one thing I couldn't quite figure out.
There was a transformer with all the nominal data (10k/0.4k kV/kV, 100kVA), it said that they made a transformer short circuit test when one side is shortened and the other is fed with 500 volts and they got a current of I=10A and power P=1kW
Then, they asked what should the current and voltage be if we now shorten the other side of the transformer and feed voltage to the other, if the power we want is 1kW ?

I would really appreciate your help, I have an exam tommorow and this thing is bothering me!

I know that Z_k=500/10=50 ohm, R_k=P_k/I_k^2=1000/10^2=10 ohm
X_k=sqrt(Z_k^2-R_k^2)=49

Physics news on Phys.org
.5 ohmSo, if the power of the transformer is 1kW and we want to short the other side, the voltage should be V=sqrt(P_k*Z_k)=sqrt(1000*50)=70.7V and the current will be I=sqrt(P_k/R_k)=sqrt(1000/10)=10A. Hope this helps!

1. What is a transformer short circuit test?

A transformer short circuit test is a type of electrical test that is performed on a transformer to determine its performance and efficiency. It involves applying a short circuit to the secondary winding of the transformer and measuring the resulting current and voltage.

2. Why is a transformer short circuit test necessary?

A transformer short circuit test is necessary to ensure that the transformer is functioning properly and to detect any potential faults or defects. It also helps to determine the transformer's impedance, losses, and voltage regulation.

3. How is a transformer short circuit test performed?

To perform a transformer short circuit test, the primary winding of the transformer is connected to a low voltage AC power source, while the secondary winding is short circuited. The resulting current and voltage are then measured using specialized equipment.

4. What are the benefits of a transformer short circuit test?

A transformer short circuit test can help to identify any problems or issues with the transformer, allowing for timely repairs or replacements. It also helps to ensure the safety and reliability of the transformer's operation.

5. Are there any risks involved in a transformer short circuit test?

Yes, there are some risks involved in a transformer short circuit test, as it involves working with high voltages and currents. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate equipment to minimize these risks.