What is the solution to this transformer problem?

In summary, the student is having trouble calculating the maximum power that can be drawn from a 120v source connected to a transformer with a 10k secondary. They are using an equation from the back of the book to calculate the load voltage, but get an incorrect result. They also mention that they need to use an n of 10 for part b, which is not possible because n1 is 5.
VitaX

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8428/circuits.png

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{V_L}{V_s} = \frac{nR_L}{n^2 R_s + R_L}[/itex]

[itex]R_s = \frac{R_L}{n^2}[/itex]

[itex]P = \frac{V_L^2}{R_L}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

How should I go about solving this problem? Do I have to convert it to an equivalent circuit? If so how would the end result look exactly? I haven't seen any good examples in the book of creating equivalent circuits of transformers so I'm a little unsure of what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like n2 is their way of expressing the turns ration of that transformer, 1:n2. So in place of the transformer with 8k in its secondary, you can show a new resistor RS in series with your resistor R, that new resistor bring RL transformed by the square of the turns ratio, as they indicate.

NascentOxygen said:
It looks like n2 is their way of expressing the turns ration of that transformer, 1:n2. So in place of the transformer with 8k in its secondary, you can show a new resistor RS in series with your resistor R, that new resistor bring RL transformed by the square of the turns ratio, as they indicate.

In part a) I found n2 to be 10, but how do I find the max power now? I used the equation I posted in the OP to find the load voltage then used [itex]P=\frac{V_L^2}{R_L}[/itex] but I get 115.2 W as power when the book has 10,000 W roughly. Perhaps it's because I use the wrong value for [itex]R_s[/itex]. I used 20 Ohms. Should it be different? Or it could be because of the n value I use. I put in 10.

Last edited:
VitaX said:
In part a) I found n2 to be 10
as do I
but how do I find the max power now?
Are you talking about part (a) or part (b)?
I used the equation I posted in the OP to find the load voltage then used [itex]P=\frac{V_L^2}{R_L}[/itex] but I get 115.2 W as power when the book has 10,000 W roughly.
It can't be thousands of watts. Isn't that a 20 ohm source resistance? So you want the transformed impedances to be of that order, too, so the current from the 120v source is going to be less than 3 amps. (Even were you to short circuit the transformer windings, that 20 ohm will limit the current to 6 amps.)
Perhaps it's because I use the wrong value for [itex]R_s[/itex]. I used 20 Ohms. Should it be different?
I see nothing to indicate a different Rs.
Or it could be because of the n value I use. I put in 10.
In part (b) you are told n1 is 5, and required to find the new n2. So there is no place for using an n of 10.

FWIW, I calculate 1.3125 A is drawn from the 120v supply, in part (b).

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:
as do I

Are you talking about part (a) or part (b)?

It can't be thousands of watts. Isn't that a 20 ohm source resistance? So you want the transformed impedances to be of that order, too, so the current from the 120v source is going to be less than 3 amps. (Even were you to short circuit the transformer windings, that 20 ohm will limit the current to 6 amps.)

I see nothing to indicate a different Rs.

In part (b) you are told n1 is 5, and required to find the new n2. So there is no place for using an n of 10.

FWIW, I calculate 1.3125 A is drawn from the 120v supply, in part (b).

Yeah I was talking about part a) Apparently some others were able to get the 10,000 W power for part a that was int he back of the book though I couldn't really follow what they did.

1. What is the purpose of finding n1 and n2 in "Transformers"?

Finding n1 and n2 in "Transformers" is essential for understanding the electrical properties of the transformer, such as its voltage and current ratios. This information helps determine the efficiency and effectiveness of the transformer.

2. How do you calculate n1 and n2?

The ratio of n1 and n2, also known as the turns ratio, can be calculated by dividing the number of turns in the primary winding (n1) by the number of turns in the secondary winding (n2). This information is usually provided by the manufacturer or can be measured using specialized equipment.

3. Why is it important to find the ideal n1 and n2 for a transformer?

The ideal n1 and n2 for a transformer result in maximum efficiency and minimal losses. By finding the optimal turns ratio, the transformer can operate at its full potential and deliver the desired output voltage.

4. Can n1 and n2 be changed?

Yes, the turns ratio of a transformer can be changed by altering the number of turns in the primary or secondary winding. However, this should only be done by a trained professional as it can significantly impact the efficiency and performance of the transformer.

5. How do you find n1 and n2 for a given transformer?

The turns ratio for a specific transformer can be found on the manufacturer's datasheet or by measuring the number of turns in each winding. Alternatively, if the transformer is already connected and operating, the turns ratio can be calculated by measuring the input and output voltages.