Calculating Number of Turns for a 50Hz 3-Phase Transformer: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the core-type transformer connected star-delta with a line voltage ratio of 11000/400V and a maximum flux density of 1.2T has 385 turns per phase on the low-voltage winding and 14 turns per phase on the high-voltage winding. The effective area of the core is 0.324m2, and the insulation occupies 10% of the gross core area. The formula V1/V2 = T1/T2 can be used to solve this problem.
ric115
Hi there

I am presently studying for my electrical machines exam and i have a few examples to tackle.

A 50hz, 3 phase, core-type transformer is connected star-delta and has a line voltage ratio of 11000/400V. The cross-section of the core is square with a circumscribing circle of 0.6m diameter

If the maximum flux density is about 1.2T, calculate the number of turns per phase on the low-voltage and on the high-voltage windings. Assume the insulation to occupy 10 per cent of the gross core area.

So i have;

V1= 11000
V2= 400
B = 1.2T
A = 0.6m (i think?)

Could i use the V1/V2 = T1/T2 formula here?

Anyhelp on this topic would be greatly appreciated :O) rather do my mistakes here than on the exam

Physics news on Phys.org
!Yes, you can use the formula V1/V2 = T1/T2. To solve this problem, you need to know the area of the core. Since the core is square, its area is equal to (0.6m)2 = 0.36m2. Now the effective area of the core is the gross area minus the insulation area, so we can calculate the effective area as follows: Aeff = (1 - 0.1) x 0.36m2 = 0.324m2 Now we can use the formula F = BAeff to calculate the flux, where F is the flux and B is the maximum flux density: F = 1.2T x 0.324m2 = 0.388Wb Now we can use the formula N1/N2 = (F1/F2) x (V2/V1) to calculate the number of turns per phase on both windings: N1/N2 = (400/11000) x (0.388/1) = 0.035 So the number of turns per phase on the low-voltage winding is: N1 = 0.035 x 11000 = 385 turns And the number of turns per phase on the high-voltage winding is: N2 = 0.035 x 400 = 14 turns

1. How do I calculate the number of turns for a 50Hz 3-phase transformer?

To calculate the number of turns for a 50Hz 3-phase transformer, you will need to know the voltage and current ratings, as well as the core material and design of the transformer. You can use the following formula: N = (V x 10^8) / (4.44 x f x B x A), where N is the number of turns, V is the rated voltage, f is the frequency (50Hz in this case), B is the flux density, and A is the cross-sectional area of the core.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the number of turns for a 50Hz 3-phase transformer?

The number of turns in a transformer determines the voltage ratio between the primary and secondary windings. This is important in regulating the output voltage and ensuring efficient power transfer. Calculating the number of turns also helps in selecting the appropriate core size and material for the transformer.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating the number of turns for a transformer with a different frequency?

No, the formula for calculating the number of turns for a 50Hz 3-phase transformer is specific to this frequency. If you are working with a transformer with a different frequency, you will need to use a different formula that takes into account the specific frequency and other variables.

4. Are there any other factors that may affect the number of turns for a 50Hz 3-phase transformer?

Yes, apart from the voltage and current ratings, core material, and frequency, other factors that may affect the number of turns include the desired output voltage, load conditions, and efficiency requirements. It is important to consider all these factors when calculating the number of turns for a transformer.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should perform the calculations for the number of turns?

Yes, it is recommended to first determine the core size and material based on the desired output voltage and load conditions. Then, you can use the formula mentioned in the first question to calculate the number of turns. Finally, you can check the calculated number of turns against the core size and material to ensure it is within the appropriate range for the transformer.