1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformers Question

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1

pez

Hey everyone, I had a question on a question about transformers:

The primary coil of a transformer contains 100 turns; the secondary has 200 turns. The primary coil is connected to a size AA battery that supplies a constant voltage of 1.5 volts. What voltage would be measured across the secondary coil?

So, I figured V_2/V_1 = N_2/N_1, where N = the number of coils and V = the volt. This led me to an answer of 3V, which is incorrect. Can someone explain why this is so? The question says the voltage is constant, so shouldn't the formula work?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The answer to give depends on the level of sophistication that you need.
    Simple answer is of course that a transformer doesn't transform DC values. But depending on the sophistication, one might want the *transient* response of the transformer when you *connect* the battery. That's slightly more involved...

4. Oct 15, 2005 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I recognize this question. This is a basic situation in which the student is supposed to recognize the *type* of electric current that must be used for transformation. So the the initial induction (as the switch is closed) is probably not what is asked for here.

So, what kind of current is required for a transformet to step-up or step-down voltage?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?