Transformers voltages homework

In summary, when the primary coil has 120V and the secondary coil has 6V, if you put 8V in the secondary coil, the voltage in the primary coil will be 160V. This is based on the equation v1/v2 = n1/n2 where v is voltage and n is turns.
vroomba03

Homework Statement

We have a transformer, the primary coil has 120V and secondary coil has 6V, if you put 8V in secondary coil, what will be the voltage in the primary coil.

Homework Equations

v1/v2 = n1/n2 where v is voltage and n is turns

The Attempt at a Solution

So i was thinking that the number of coils is going to be constant because there is no mention of them changing. So in that case the 120v/6v has to equal x/8v, which you would just solve for x, which comes out to 160v. That seemed kind of simple, so I wasnt sure i was doing that right. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
vroomba03 said:

Homework Statement

We have a transformer, the primary coil has 120V and secondary coil has 6V, if you put 8V in secondary coil, what will be the voltage in the primary coil.

Homework Equations

v1/v2 = n1/n2 where v is voltage and n is turns

The Attempt at a Solution

So i was thinking that the number of coils is going to be constant because there is no mention of them changing. So in that case the 120v/6v has to equal x/8v, which you would just solve for x, which comes out to 160v. That seemed kind of simple, so I wasnt sure i was doing that right. Any thoughts?

Yup, it's as simple as that for ideal transformers.

Likes 1 person

1. What are transformers and how do they work?

Transformers are electrical devices that are used to change the voltage levels of an alternating current (AC). They work by using two coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary coils, which are placed near each other but not touching. When an AC current flows through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a current in the secondary coil, resulting in the transformation of voltage.

2. What is the purpose of a transformer?

The main purpose of a transformer is to change the voltage level of an electrical supply. This is important because different electrical devices require different voltage levels to operate. For example, household appliances typically require lower voltage levels while power plants produce high voltage electricity. Transformers allow for the safe and efficient transmission of electricity from power plants to homes and businesses.

3. How are transformers classified?

Transformers are classified based on their construction, function, and voltage level. They can be categorized as step-up or step-down transformers depending on whether they increase or decrease the voltage, respectively. They can also be classified as power or distribution transformers, with power transformers being used in high voltage applications and distribution transformers used in lower voltage applications.

4. What is the difference between a single-phase and three-phase transformer?

A single-phase transformer has one primary and one secondary coil, while a three-phase transformer has three primary and three secondary coils. Three-phase transformers are used in industrial and commercial applications as they are more efficient and can handle higher power loads. Single-phase transformers are commonly used in homes and smaller buildings.

5. How do I calculate the output voltage of a transformer?

The output voltage of a transformer can be calculated using the formula V2 = (N2/N1) x V1, where V2 is the output voltage, N2 is the number of turns in the secondary coil, N1 is the number of turns in the primary coil, and V1 is the input voltage. The ratio of the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils is known as the turns ratio, and it determines the voltage transformation of the transformer.