1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transforming equations

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    I guess this is maybe more algebra than calculus, but it stems from a calculus problem, so I'll stick it here.

The problem is:

In the case of the simple harmonic oscillator the solution [to the EOM] may be written at least 3 ways

x(t) = Acos(wt) + Bsin(wt)
    = Ccos(wt + del)
    = De^(iwt) + Ee^(1wt)

Express C and del in terms of A and B. Express D and E in terms of A and B.

What I've got:

I got the first part, C and del, but I can't figure out how to find D and E. It seems relatively straightforward, I put the A/B eq as the LHS and the D/E eq on the RHS and just applied Euler's Formula to the D term. But I can't figure out how to get the E term in terms of cos and sin.

Any help please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2007 #2
    Hint: A constant that has the imaginary unit in it is still a constant.
  4. Sep 18, 2007 #3
    Yes, I know, but that still doesn't help me get E*e^(wt) in terms of cos and sin.
  5. Sep 18, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

D*exp(iwt)+E*exp(wt) is NOT a solution to a simple harmonic oscillator problem in the region of the universe I'm used to. Are you sure you don't mean D*exp(iwt)+E*exp(-iwt)? You certainly can decompose exp(wt) into sin and cos. It's exp(wt)=exp(i(wt/i))=cos(wt/i)+i*sin(wt/i). But if w and t are real, those sin and cos aren't the oscillatory functions you'd expect.
  6. Sep 19, 2007 #5
    Yeah, one of my friends just told me "Didn't you get Prof's email? That's a typo!"

Gr. I KNEW that I wasn't doing it wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?