1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transforming to Eddington-Finkelstein Coordinates for Schwarzschild Geometry in GR

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm having problems seeing how the transformation to Eddington-Finkelstein in the Schwarzschild geometry works. Any help would be great!

2. Relevant equations

So we have the Schwarzschild Geometry given by:

[tex]
    ds^2 = -(1-2M/r)dt^2 + (1-2M/r)^-^1 dr^2 + r^2(d\theta^2+sin^2\theta d\phi^2)
    [/tex]

and the Edd-Fink transformation assigns

[tex]
    t = v - r -2Mlog\mid r/2M-1 \mid
    [/tex]

The textbook says it is straight-forward to simply sub this into the S.G line element to get the transformed geometry, but I can't seem to get it.

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so differentiating the expression for the new t coordinates above, I get:

[tex]
    dt = dv - dr -2M. \frac{d}{dr} [log(r-2m)-log(2m)]
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    dt = dv - dr -2M. \left(\frac{1}{r-2m}\right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    dt = dv - dr - \left(\frac{2m}{r}-1\right)
    [/tex]

...but the book says the answer is

[tex]
    dt = -\frac{dr}{1-\frac{2M}{r}} + dv
    [/tex]

>where am I going wrong here? Given this last expression, it is fairly easy to sub it into the SG line element to get the transformed coordinates. Problem is, I can't seem to get that far! Any help much appreciated...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Transforming to Eddington-Finkelstein Coordinates for Schwarzschild Geometry in G

Ermm... shouldn't this be

[tex]dt = dv - dr -2M. \frac{d}{dr} [log(r-2m)-log(2m)]dr[/tex]

?:wink:

Also, [tex]2m\left(\frac{1}{r-2m}\right)
    \neq \left(\frac{2m}{r}-1\right)[/tex]

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    Re: Transforming to Eddington-Finkelstein Coordinates for Schwarzschild Geometry in G

Damn it! Still not seeing it...

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]dt=dv-dr-2m\left(\frac{1}{r-2m}\right)dr=dv-\left[1+2m\left(\frac{1}{r-2m}\right)\right]dr[/tex]

Just simplify....it's basic algebra from here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook