Transhumanism - human upgrades such as artificial limbs or nanobots

• Thread starter Maxime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, if you want to work in transhumanism, you should consider fields such as biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer science, nanotechnology, and bioethics or philosophy. These fields all have applications in human upgrades, such as artificial limbs and nanobots.
Maxime
Transhumanism -- human upgrades such as artificial limbs or nanobots

Hi,

I'm a physics student (actually doing the third year of my bachelor degree ) in Canada and am wondering what field I should choose for my master and/or phd if I want to work in transhumanism.

By transhumanism, I mean working on human upgrades such as artificial limbs or nanobots.

I first thought of going in medical physics as the name gave me the wrong idea that it was the way to go if I wanted to work on both general medical-related issues and physics but then realized it was mostly related to cancer therapy and imaging. I am now considering biophysics, but am not sure if it is exactly what I want (being really interested in applications on the human body specifically, not some random cells to develop a new kind of shampoo). What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would really appreciate your help and advice! The best way to get into the field of Transhumanism is to combine your knowledge of physics with a deep understanding of biology and medicine. You can start by looking into biomedical engineering, which focuses on the use of engineering principles to solve biological and medical problems. If you are interested in robotics and artificial limbs, then a degree in mechanical engineering might be more suitable for you. You could also consider getting a degree in computer science, as this field has many applications in transhumanism. Additionally, nanotechnology is a rapidly growing field that could use your physics background. Finally, if you are interested in the ethical implications of transhumanism, then a degree in bioethics or philosophy could be helpful.

What is transhumanism?

Transhumanism is a philosophical and cultural movement that advocates for the use of technology to enhance human physical and cognitive abilities. This can include upgrades such as artificial limbs, nanobots, and brain-computer interfaces.

How does transhumanism differ from traditional human augmentation?

Transhumanism places a strong emphasis on the use of technology to enhance human abilities, while traditional human augmentation often refers to medical procedures or enhancements for individuals with disabilities or medical conditions.

What are the potential benefits of transhumanism?

The potential benefits of transhumanism include increased physical and cognitive abilities, improved overall health and longevity, and the ability to adapt and survive in changing environments. It also has the potential to improve human well-being and quality of life.

Are there any ethical concerns surrounding transhumanism?

Yes, there are ethical concerns surrounding transhumanism, such as the potential for creating a divide between those who can afford enhancements and those who cannot, as well as the potential for unintended consequences and unforeseen risks associated with advanced technologies.

What are the potential risks of transhumanism?

The potential risks of transhumanism include the possibility of creating a new class of individuals with enhanced abilities, which could lead to social and economic inequality. There are also concerns about the long-term effects of advanced technologies on human health and the environment, as well as the potential misuse of these technologies for unethical purposes.