1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transience of a MC

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the following model.

[itex]X_{n+1}[/itex] given [itex]X_n, X_{n-1},...,X_0[/itex] has a Poisson distribution with mean [itex]\lambda=a+bX_n[/itex] where [itex]a>0,b\geq{0}[/itex]. Show that [itex]X=(X_n)_{n\in\mathrm{N_0}}[/itex] is a transient M.C if [itex]b\geq 1[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

How do we approach this question? I was thinking of using the theorem below.

Let [itex]X[/itex] be an irreducible Markov chain with countable state space [itex]S[/itex]. A necessary and sufficient condition for [itex]X[/itex] to be transient is the existence of a non-constant, non-negative super-harmonic function [itex]\phi[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking of using an exponential function as a superharmonic function, but failed terribly. What superharmonic function can we use to prove transience for [itex]b\geq 1[/itex] Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Something is missing: you have included no statement about what happens to/with the super-harmonic function ##\phi## in the context of ##X##.

4. Apr 19, 2013 #3
    I attempted to use functions such as [itex]\phi(x) = e^{bx}, e^{(b-1)x}[/itex], but all of them are not superharmonic w.r.t [itex]X[/itex]. What type of functions should I attempt?

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are missing the whole point: WHAT is supposed to happen if I give you a superharmonic function? You quoted only half of a theorem; the other half is vital!

6. Apr 19, 2013 #5
    I am sorry about that! This is the definition of a superharmonic function!

Let [itex]X[/itex] be a time-homogeneous irreducible Markov chain with countable state space [itex]S[/itex] and one-step transition probability matrix [itex]P(x, y)[/itex]. A function [itex]\phi: S \rightarrow R[/itex] is said to be superharmonic for X at [itex]x \in S[/itex] if [itex]\sum_{y\in S} P(x,y)\phi(y)\leq\phi(x)[/itex]

7. Apr 20, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't care about signs, just getting a superharmonic ##\phi## is easy: in this case, ##\phi(x) = -x## is superharmonic if ##a>0,\: b \geq 1##. However, if you want a non-negative ##\phi## it is harder. You can follow the construction in
    http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/165913/markov-chains-recurrence-and-transience

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted