Explore Alternative Transient Analysis Codes for Neutronic Operations

In summary, the speaker is looking for alternative codes to use for transient neutronic operations besides the S3K code. They mention EPRI's ARROTTA code, which has been coupled with VIPRE-2. They also mention VTT and Fortum's APROS and Purdue's PARCS as potential options, but note that vendor codes are typically not publicly available for comparison.
MajestikMoose
At the moment I'n involved with a project that is using the S3K transient analysis code. I was wondering if anyone knows of a different code that will perform transient neutronic operations.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
EPRI developed the ARROTTA code - 3D space-time kinetics code - for the purpose of reactor transient analysis. ARROTTA has been coupled with VIPRE-2. I don't know how well it performs with respect to S3K which is a fairly good code. The vendors have their own methods, but I believe they are not as advanced as S3K.

This paper might be useful - Parallel Computing Methods For The Epri Spatial Kinetics Code Arrotta
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/54277.html - look for options on the righthand side of the page for downloading.

Last edited:
Thanks. I know that a lot of vendors use their own 'in-house' codes and don't distribute them commercially but is there any way of getting more information about them for a comparison to S3K? I'm trying to compare to see how they stand up to each other. Any type of benchmark test results would be useful.

VTT and Fortum (Finland) have developed APROS, but I don't know much about it.
http://www.fortum.com/document.asp?path=14022;14024;14025;14035;15386;15387;15267;15273

There is a group in the Dept. of Nuclear Engineering at Purdue, who have developed PARCS, Purdue Advanced Reactor Core Simulator, which might be available.
https://engineering.purdue.edu/PARCS

Vendor methods are proprietary (trade secret) and the details are not available in the public domain.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Transient Analysis?

Transient Analysis is a method used in science and engineering to analyze the behavior of a system or process over time. It involves studying how a system responds to changes in its inputs or conditions.

Why is Transient Analysis important?

Transient Analysis allows scientists and engineers to understand how a system will behave under different conditions and how it responds to changes. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing systems for maximum efficiency and performance.

What are some common applications of Transient Analysis?

Transient Analysis is used in a variety of applications, including electrical and mechanical systems, chemical and biological processes, and environmental systems. Some specific examples include analyzing the response of an electrical circuit to a sudden change in voltage, predicting the growth of a population over time, and studying the effects of a pollutant on an ecosystem.

What are the steps involved in conducting Transient Analysis?

The first step in conducting Transient Analysis is to identify the system or process to be studied and its inputs and outputs. Next, the equations or models that describe the behavior of the system are established. Then, initial conditions and parameters are set, and the equations are solved using numerical or analytical methods. Finally, the results are analyzed to understand the behavior of the system over time.

What are some limitations of Transient Analysis?

Transient Analysis relies on mathematical models and assumptions, which may not always accurately represent real-world systems. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the initial conditions and parameters chosen. In some cases, the system may be too complex to accurately model, making Transient Analysis less useful.