Transient current in inductance circuit

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about a DC circuit with an inductor and a static magnetic field applied on a part of the circuit loop. The goal is to find an expression for the transient current. The individual discussing the circuit has doubts about whether an EMF is created in the wire due to the fixed magnetic field. They have provided their attempt at a solution, but are looking for guidance to ensure they are on the right track. The expert recommends using a negative sign in front of the Vt term to represent the opposing EMF and using the correct equation for the energy stored in the inductor. Overall, the approach seems to be on the right track and the expert wishes the individual luck with their solution.
krindik

Homework Statement

I have posted my complete question http://imagebin.org/110458" [PLAIN]http://imagebin.org/110458. It is about a DC circuit with an inductor and a static magnetic field applied on a part of the circuit loop. An expression for the transient current needs to be found. My attempt is below. But I have doubt whether an EMF is created in the wire, where there is magnetic field.

2. The attempt at a solution

There is no energy conversion from the mechanical system to the electrical system. Also, the steady magnetic field does not effect the current but only creates a force. (an opposing current will be induced only if the magnetic field changes, AFAIK). So, we can consider the electrical and mechanical systems separately,

considering the electrical system,
the voltage drop is only across the inductance
[tex]V = - L \frac{di}{dt}[/tex]
so, [tex]i = -Vt/L [/tex]
However, I'm in doubt whether there is a voltage drop across the wire which is created as an opposing EMF due to the changing current, even though the magnetic field is fixed.
This is where I'm not sure about my attempt.

considering the mechanical system
[tex] \tau = (i \times B)R = iBR = I \frac{d\omega}{dt}[/tex]
=> [tex]\omega[/tex] = integration of above

Also, we should be able to verify this by considering energy conservation
energy given by battery (Vi) - energy stored in the inductor (Li di/dt) - momentum gained by the wheel (Iw) + work done by the magnetic field (torque times integration of omega with time) = 0

Can somebody point me in the correct direction?

Thanks.

rgds,
K

Attachments

• Q1.jpg
    Q1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 491
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
iran

Hello Kiran,

Thank you for posting your question. It looks like you are dealing with a very interesting circuit and I would be happy to help you find the correct direction for your solution.

Firstly, to address your doubt about whether an EMF is created in the wire where there is a magnetic field, the answer is yes. Even though the magnetic field is fixed, the changing current in the inductor creates a changing magnetic flux, which in turn induces an EMF in the wire. This EMF will oppose the change in current, which is why it is called an opposing EMF.

Now, let's take a closer look at your solution attempt. Your expression for the current is correct, but I would suggest using a negative sign in front of the Vt term to indicate the opposing EMF. So, your final expression for the current would be i = -Vt/L.

For the mechanical system, your calculation of the torque and angular velocity is correct. However, I would recommend using the equation for the energy stored in an inductor (E = 1/2 LI^2) to find the energy stored in the inductor instead of using Li di/dt. This will give you a more accurate representation of the energy conservation in the circuit.

Overall, your approach seems to be on the right track. Just remember to consider the opposing EMF in your calculations and use the correct equation for the energy stored in the inductor. I hope this helps and good luck with your solution!

1. What is transient current in an inductance circuit?

Transient current in an inductance circuit refers to the flow of electric current that occurs when there is a change in the circuit, such as when the power is turned on or off. It is a temporary phenomenon that causes a brief surge in the current before it reaches a steady state.

2. What causes transient current in an inductance circuit?

Transient current is caused by the inductance of the circuit, which is a property of an electrical component that resists changes in current. When the power is turned on or off, the inductance causes a temporary buildup of energy, resulting in a surge of current.

3. How does transient current affect an inductance circuit?

Transient current can cause voltage spikes and fluctuations in an inductance circuit, which can potentially damage sensitive components. It can also affect the performance of the circuit, causing delays or interruptions in operation.

4. How can transient current be reduced or eliminated in an inductance circuit?

There are several methods for reducing or eliminating transient current in an inductance circuit, such as using snubber circuits, adding capacitors to the circuit, or using a flyback diode. These methods help to absorb or redirect the surge of current, preventing it from causing damage or disruptions.

5. Is transient current always a problem in inductance circuits?

No, transient current is not always a problem in inductance circuits. In some cases, it can be useful, such as in power supply circuits where it helps to smooth out fluctuations in voltage. However, in other circuits, it can be a nuisance or even damaging, so it is important to understand and manage transient current appropriately.