How Do You Calculate Transient Current with Given Circuit Components?

In summary, the given problem states that the battery voltage is 12V and the values for the components C, R, and L are 1uF, 1Kohm, and 0.2H respectively. The task is to find the transient current. However, the problem seems to be incorrect as the diagram shows the capacitor connected directly to the battery, which does not make sense.
mym786

Homework Statement

Battery Voltage = 12 V, C = 1uF, R = 1Kohm, L = 0.2H. Find Transient Current. See Fig for more details.

2djnbl2.jpg

Homework Equations

i = Cdv/dt.

The Attempt at a Solution

(I think the problem doesn't make sense)

Physics news on Phys.org
mym786 said:

Homework Statement

Battery Voltage = 12 V, C = 1uF, R = 1Kohm, L = 0.2H. Find Transient Current. See Fig for more details.

2djnbl2.jpg

Homework Equations

i = Cdv/dt.

The Attempt at a Solution

(I think the problem doesn't make sense)

As drawn, the problem does not make sense. You would not connect a battery directly to a capacitor. The transient current would only be limited by the ESR of the cap.

Can you scan the actual question for us?

The original diagram is drawn in pencil. The scanned copy is not so clear (poor scanner). However, i rechecked the diagram and that's how it is. I also find connecting the capacitor directly to the battery senseless too.

Thank you for your reply.

What is a transient current problem?

A transient current problem is a phenomenon that occurs in electrical circuits where there is a sudden change in the flow of current. This can happen due to various factors such as lightning strikes, power surges, or switching on and off of large appliances.

How does a transient current problem affect electronic devices?

A transient current problem can cause damage to electronic devices by subjecting them to high levels of voltage and current. This can lead to short circuits, component failure, and even complete system shutdown.

What are some common causes of transient current problems?

Lightning strikes, power surges, and switching on and off of large appliances are some of the common causes of transient current problems. Other factors such as faulty wiring, poor grounding, or damaged electrical equipment can also contribute to this problem.

How can transient current problems be prevented?

Transient current problems can be prevented by installing surge protectors, using high-quality wiring and grounding systems, and avoiding overloading of circuits. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain electrical equipment to prevent any potential issues.

What are the consequences of ignoring transient current problems?

Ignoring transient current problems can lead to serious consequences such as damage to electronic devices, increased risk of electrical fires, and potential safety hazards. It is important to address these problems promptly to ensure the safety and proper functioning of electrical systems.