Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transient Lunar Phenomena

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

also see http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/farout/story/0,13028,1315487,00.html

When I saw this I thought about the Astronaut who while orbiting the moon saw a flashing light on the dark side. He reported the light and was told to watch on the next pass at which time he saw the light again in the same location. I know this really happened and I have always wondered what the source might have been. My best guess was an unknown Russian probe, but since the fall of the Ex Soviet no such missions have come to light that may explain what was seen. Of course, the ET buffs have their own suggestions.

One thing that always bothered me about my Russian probe explanation is the obvious question: For whom was the light flashing?
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Polarization would be a possibility. Catching a polarized reflection at just the right angle at the right time would be a reasonable explanation. I have seen this phenomenon in clouds while flying at 38,000 feet.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?