1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transient Signals on Transmission Lines: Cascaded T-lines that switch states chart

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=eightss5.png

2. Relevant equations
    I have the lecture notes that is 14pages long that covers this particular chapter and the lecture note provided by my professor does not mention anything with switchs in the lecture note whatsoever.. so I am confused on how to solve this problem. the link to the full lecture note/problems is..
    http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~bpark6/ECE/ECE3025/Tline2008_08.pdf
    The problem in the imageshack.us is exercise number 8.9. THanks alot in advance.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Transient Signals on Transmission Lines: Cascaded T-lines that switch states char

I'm afraid I'm only going to be of a little bit of help here, but hopefully it gets you going more. Immediately after the first switch is closed, what do you have for a system? You have the 20V source with output impedance Zo, and it is starting to drive a pulse down the lefthand transmission line, right? Would you get some sort of a voltage divider effect between the output Zo of the source, and the input Zo of the TL? What could you say is the amplitude of the pulse as it starts propagating down the lefthand TL?

4. Sep 10, 2008 #3
    Re: Transient Signals on Transmission Lines: Cascaded T-lines that switch states char

thanks berkeman. i tried that but my answer does not make sense. i believe the numbers are way off.
    can anybody figure out the solution to this problem? Hope to hear from anybody soon. Thanks in advance.

5. Sep 10, 2008 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, that's not how the PF works for homework and coursework questions. We do not give out answers or do your work for you. We can offer tutorial help as long as you show us your work.

Show us what you have done so far -- why does your initial answer not make sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?