1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transient thermal problem

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1
    Let's say I have a box, mounted to a plate in a vacuum (pure conduction). The system is initially at a steady state at temperature Ti. The plate then begins cooling at a rate of 3 C/min. The box is going to cool at some rate, and with some time constant. For this test, I have place a thermocouple on the box, so I can measure its response.

Now I want to run it again such that the plate cools at a rate of 4 C/min. Is it possible to use the previous results to estimate the box's response for this new profile? If so, how could I go about doing it?

TIA

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    vacuum does not necessarily mean conduction since there is also radiation. Your problem is rather ill defined. What are the dimensions, assumptions, why does the plate begins cooling?
    I cannot make up from you description if heat is going from the plate to the box or vise-versa

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?