1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transients in DC Circuits - calculating rate of change after specific time period

1. Jan 2, 2008 #1
    The attached document contains the question and the answers I have calculated. I am confident that I have answered them correctly however another pair of eyes is always useful.

The problem I have is with part f - Rate of change of current at the instant the switch is closed on position 2. I know that the current needs to reverse, and that the inductor will oppose this reversal, until such time as eventually the steady-state current calculated at part d will be reached, however I'm at a loss as to where to start the calculations.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

CEL

You have an expression for the current at every instant t 0<t<0.72s.
    If you differentiate that expression you have di/dt. Replace t by 0.72 and you have the rate of change at that instant.
    Replace t by 0 and check the result you obtained in item e.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?