1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Transisitor Amplifiers

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find Ib, Ic and Rb of the following diagram where the current gain is 150

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR, and Ai = Ic / Ib

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am having more trouble knowing how to divide the voltages and currents up in this circuit. I can't really show any solutions without knowing how to divide it all up.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2
    You can calculate I_c with ohms law.
    You can calculate I_b if you know I_c and the current gain

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    but how do I figure out how much voltage goes through Rc???

5. Mar 30, 2010 #4
    One side of Rc is at Vcc, wich is 12V, the other side is at Vout wich is 5V

6. Mar 30, 2010 #5
    so is Vout the remaining voltage?

7. Mar 30, 2010 #6
    I don't know what you mean by that. One Side of Rc is at 12V and the other side at 5V.
    What is the potential difference across the resistor?

8. Mar 30, 2010 #7
    Nah man, V=IR, which means that I=V/R, and one thing that you may not realize about Ohm's law is that it applies to any voltage drop. Across that 350 ohm resistor you know both the voltages, so you can easily figure out that current. Once you know the collector current, you can get the base current because you know the gain. From there you can once again use the same principle to figure out the resistance of the resistor you want.

This is a good design problem. It shows you a good way to get 5V from a transistor.

9. Mar 30, 2010 #8
    What exactly is the output voltage of 5 of? the resistor or the transistor?

10. Mar 30, 2010 #9
    It's a node that is shared by both the resistor and transistor.

11. Mar 30, 2010 #10
    okay, but im still having trouble understanding how much voltage is across Rc. 12V is the supply voltage and the output voltage is 5V, does that mean the voltage across the resistor is 5V because thats the output voltage? But even then because the 5V is shared between the resistor and transistor, how do you know exactly much voltage is across the resistor. Sorry for making this all confusing

12. Mar 30, 2010 #11
    It's the voltage drop, or change in voltage.

Ic=(12V-5V)/350Ohms

13. Mar 30, 2010 #12
    ohhh so 7V went through that resistor?

14. Mar 30, 2010 #13
    Yep. :)

15. Mar 30, 2010 #14
    okay for finding Ib, because 7V goes through Rc that must mean 5 goes through Rb correct? then because it is a series circuit i can use the current found from the previous question which is 0.02A and then use I=V/R???

16. Mar 31, 2010 #15
    It's not correct. Note that the bottom of the circuit is connected to the earth, so it's at 0V. The base of the transistor is at one diode drop above 0.

Rb is NOT in series with Rc, so the same current does not go through them. You have to find the current through Rb using the fact that Ic = (current gain) * Ib

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook