1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistions physics question

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1

a.a

how would you determine the transistion an election took in order to emit a photon of given frequency. Ive tried it with some of the formulas i can remember but i seem to end up with two variables ninitial and n- finial, which is basically what i am trying to solve for.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2008 #2
    Re: Transistions

Are you speaking about electronic transitions in Hydrogen-like atoms? E.g. with the energy formula [tex]E_n = 13.6\textrm{eV}\frac{Z^2}{n^2}[/tex]. Unless you are given more information to determine n initial or n final you will have two unknowns with one equation.
    In that case you aren't guaranteed to have a unique solution, but because n is discrete it is likely there is one set of n's which give you the right answer for "reasonably" low n's. In this case you'll have to do a guess and check strategy.

While this might seem a poor question to put in homework because it is underspecified it actually reflects the challenges that early spectroscopists had in determining the Rydberg formula.

I hope that helped

4. Sep 17, 2008 #3

a.a

Re: Transistions

so we would have to do trial and error to find n initial and n final?
    dat might take a while, the formula i used was:
    delta E = Rh( 1/n-initial^2 - 1/n-finial^2)
    and E= hf to find delta E

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?