Transistor Action: Understanding Vbe, Vc & Ic

• Thread starter neorich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, a transistor is a current-driven device that allows current to flow across the B-E junction. This current is used to control the collector current.
neorich
"Transistor Action"

Dear Forum,

I have a question about what is often referred to as "transistor action".

I understand how a transistor operates within a circuit, and the characteristics of such a circuit, but I would like to learn physically how the bipolar transistor is able to control a collector current through base current or base voltage?

Lets assume the transistor is properly biased and the base emitter junction is passing current i.e. Vbe>0.6V. When a base voltage is applied and hence a base current is flowing there then appears a collector current of hfe*Ib. OK. This collector current is supplied by the source (normally written as Vcc).

Can you please answer the following questions.

1.) Does a change in base voltage (or current) cause the collector voltage (voltage at the bottom of a collector resistor) to change, thereby causing a change in current where the current is given by (Vcc-Vc)/Rc.?
2.) If this is the case, how does the change in Vb get "translated" into a change in Vc?
3.) Does a change in base current (or voltage) cause a change collector current to be drawn which then passes through the resistor and drops a voltage thereby changing the collector voltage i.e. Vc=Vcc-IcR?
4.) I guess this question is does the collector voltage change first, leading to a change in collector current, OR does the collector current change first leading to a change in collector voltage?

5.) Now for the interesting question. Whether 1 or 3 is correct (or both, or neither) how does the change in Vb (or Ib) pass through the transistor and lead to a change in Vc (or Ic). What physical processes are happening in the transistor materials. Mathematical or qualitative explanations welcomed.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards

neorich

Likes Anthony Volkman
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Forum, It has been several days with no reply. Can you tell me if this is a difficult question? Is it a poorly understood area of physics? Or is it in the wrong area of the forum?

Regards

neorich

The web is full of sites that explain transistor operation. Start with wikipedia, then search on semiconductor and bipolar transistor operation, transistor tutorials, etc. Here are a few representative sites:

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/may04/3992/s101"

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/tutorial/xtor/xtor.html"

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/trans.html"

You'll see that transistors are current-driven devices rather than voltage-driven. The bias voltage permits current to flow across the B-E junction, and charge carriers diffuse out of the base towards the collector. If you still have questions, please come back and post them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks,

The first link there was very helpful.

Regards

neorich

1. What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals. It is made up of three layers of doped material, typically silicon, and is used extensively in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and radios.

2. What is Vbe?

Vbe, or base-emitter voltage, is the voltage between the base and emitter terminals of a transistor. It is a crucial parameter in understanding transistor action as it controls the amount of current flowing through the device.

3. What is Vc?

Vc, or collector-emitter voltage, is the voltage between the collector and emitter terminals of a transistor. It is also an important parameter in determining the behavior of a transistor and can affect its performance.

4. What is Ic?

Ic, or collector current, is the amount of current flowing through the collector terminal of a transistor. It is controlled by the base current (Ib) and the Vbe voltage, and is an important factor in determining the amplification or switching capability of a transistor.

5. How does understanding Vbe, Vc & Ic help in transistor design?

Understanding Vbe, Vc, and Ic is crucial in transistor design as it allows engineers to accurately predict and control the behavior of the device. These parameters can be adjusted to achieve desired performance, such as amplification or switching, and ensure the proper functioning of the transistor in a circuit.