Transistor amplification

In summary, The conversation discusses the confusion surrounding transistor amplification in basic electronics. The amplification occurs due to the properties of the emitter-base and collector-base junctions. The reverse biased junction offers high resistance to electrons, which are minority carriers in the base, due to the potential barrier created by the electric field at the junction. This results in a higher voltage drop across the junction, allowing for amplification.
Idoubt
Sorry this seems to be the wrong forum. I've posted this in the electrical engineering forum.Im studying basic electronics and transistor amplification is confusing me.

Now I understand the basics of a npn\pnp transistor but here's what I don't get

What I've read, says that the amplification occurs because the emitter base jn is forward biased and hence low resistance leading to a low potential drop across it and the collector-base jn is reverse biased and has a high resistance and hence a higher pd across it.

Suppose we are looking at an npn transistor,
The electrons from the emitter enter the base with little resistance and hence only a low voltage need be applied.

Now since electrons are minority carriers in the base they can pass through the reverse biased collector-base jn and there is a high current through the collector

some electrons recombine and is lost a base current

My question is how can the reverse biased c-b jn offer high resistance to electrons which are minority carriers in the base?
If the electrons can move from the base to collector with ease wouldn't that mean that there would be less of an energy loss and hence consequently only a small pd?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how the reverse biased c-b jn is offering high resistance. The answer to your question lies in the concept of minority carrier injection. In a reverse biased diode, the electric field at the junction points to the anode side (in this case, the collector side of the transistor). This field pushes the minority carriers away from the junction and thus creates a depletion region as a result. As the electrons pass through this region, they experience a potential barrier which results in a higher resistance, leading to a higher voltage drop across the junction. So, in summary, the reverse biased junction offers high resistance to the electrons due to the increasing potential barrier that it creates.

What is transistor amplification?

Transistor amplification is the process of increasing the strength or amplitude of an electrical signal using a transistor. A transistor is a semiconductor device that can be used as an amplifier to control the flow of electrical current.

How does transistor amplification work?

A transistor amplifies a signal by using a small input current to control a larger output current. It does this by using a small amount of current to control the flow of a larger amount of current through its three terminals: the collector, base, and emitter.

What are the advantages of transistor amplification?

Transistor amplification offers several advantages over other types of amplification, such as vacuum tube amplification. These advantages include smaller size, lower power consumption, higher reliability, and greater frequency response.

What are the different types of transistor amplifiers?

The three main types of transistor amplifiers are common emitter, common collector, and common base. Each type has a different configuration of the transistor's three terminals, resulting in different characteristics and uses.

What are some applications of transistor amplification?

Transistor amplification is used in a wide range of applications, including audio amplifiers, radio communication, computers, and medical equipment. It is also an essential component in electronic devices such as televisions, smartphones, and laptops.