Solving Transistor Analysis Homework: (\frac{W}{L})R_D=1.5 kΩ

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with a problem involving transistors. They were struggling to manipulate an equation to get the desired result and were asking for guidance. Another person also replied, mentioning that they were currently working on the same problem.
sandy.bridge

Homework Statement

Just started learning about transistors, and I am having difficulty doing this problem.
yes-3.png

The transistor in the circuit has [tex]k_n ^'=0.5mA/V^2, V_t=0.5 V, \lambda =0.[/tex]
Show that operation at the edge of saturation is obtained when the following condition is satisfied
[tex](\frac{W}{L})R_D=1.5 kΩ[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I know, if it is operating in on the edge of saturation, then
[tex]\frac{1}{2}k_m ^'(\frac{W}{L})v_{OV}[/tex]
However, when I manipulate this equation, I am unable to get to [tex](\frac{W}{L})R_D=1.5 kΩ[/tex]

Can anyone provide me some guidance on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks anyways, but I figured it out.

Hi, I'm bumping this old post because I am currently trying to work through the same problem but can't quite figure it out. I have the same equations that were mentioned in the original post.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

What is the formula for solving transistor analysis homework?

The formula for solving transistor analysis homework is (\frac{W}{L})R_D=1.5 kΩ, where W is the width of the transistor, L is the length of the transistor, and R_D is the resistance of the drain terminal.

How do I determine the value of W and L for a transistor?

The values of W and L can be determined by looking at the specifications of the transistor or by measuring them using a ruler or caliper. These values are typically given in microns (μm) or millimeters (mm).

What is the unit for R_D in the formula?

The unit for R_D in the formula is kiloohms (kΩ). This represents the resistance of the drain terminal in thousands of ohms.

Can I use different units for W and L in the formula?

Yes, as long as the units for both W and L are consistent, the formula will still work. For example, you can use millimeters for both W and L, or microns for both W and L.

What does the value of R_D tell me about the transistor?

The value of R_D represents the resistance of the drain terminal, which is one of the three main terminals of a transistor. It is used to control the flow of current through the transistor and can affect the amplification and switching properties of the transistor.