1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistor as a zener diode

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    Can anyone explain about or point me to any articles about using transistors as zener diodes ?
    Why not just use zeners, and what connections (c-b short or e-b short) and their pros and cons ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2
    When I was doing bipolar IC design, we reverse bias the EB junction as zener diode of 6.3V. We connect the B and C together to form the cathode and the emiter as anode. I don't know what voltage you can get with any transistor, but yes, it can be a zener diode. Whether it is optimized to work as a zener or not is a different story.

That time the zener we get by reverse the EB diode has a +2.4mV/deg C, we always have to put a forward biased diode( CB as cathode and E as anode also) in series which have -2mV/deg C to cancel the drift.....approximately only, still not very good.

If you do a discrete design, I would not use transistor as zener. Don't know even the long term stability and the current limit. Get a real zener.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?