Why Do Equations Remain Unchanged Across Different Transistor Operating Regions?

In summary, the transistor is in saturation region and needs a minimum of 4.6 mA of current to be active.
noamriemer
Hi there! I'm having trouble understanding the transistor circuit analysis. Hope you could help me :)
Capture.PNG

First I need to find the active region of the transistor. What I saw in the solutions was an assumption that the transistor is in saturation region and then:

VBB=IbRb+Vbe+IeRe
Vcc=IcRc+Vce+IeRe

Why did the solver assume the transistor is in saturation mode, when he is supposed to find the active region?

Next, I have to calculate the minimal RE needed for the transistor to be active.
This time, they did refer to it as in active region. But, the equations remained the same. I thought that in Active region, it is supposed to reverse:

VBB=IbRb+Vbe+IeRe
Vce-IcRc-Vcc=IeRe

Why isn't there any change in the equations ? the BC diode is supposed to be in reverse mode, isn't it ?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
noamriemer said:
First I need to find the active region of the transistor. What I saw in the solutions was an assumption that the transistor is in saturation region and then:

VBB=IbRb+Vbe+IeRe
Vcc=IcRc+Vce+IeRe

Why did the solver assume the transistor is in saturation mode, when he is supposed to find the active region?
There is nothing here to indicate an assumption of saturation. Those equations hold for both regions of operation, active and saturated.
Why isn't there any change in the equations ? the BC diode is supposed to be in reverse mode, isn't it ?
Yes, and that condition is implicit in setting VCE = 0. (Explanation: If VCE = 0 and VBE = 0.6, then it follows that VCE = -0.6)

[PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon2.gifAlso, may I point out that you should not be using lower-case subscripts here, as they mean something different from the capitals subscripts. For DC or average values, use upper-case subscripts.

Last edited by a moderator:
noamriemer said:
Hi there! I'm having trouble understanding the transistor circuit analysis. Hope you could help me :)
View attachment 50224

VBB=IbRb+Vbe+IeRe
Vcc=IcRc+Vce+IeRe

Next, I have to calculate the minimal RE needed for the transistor to be active.
This time, they did refer to it as in active region. But, the equations remained the same. I thought that in Active region, it is supposed to reverse:

VBB=IbRb+Vbe+IeRe
Vce-IcRc-Vcc=IeRe

Thank you!

The first set of 2 equations is correct irrespective of values of the R's or power supply voltages. The second set is garbage.

A quick check shows that this configuration IS in saturation. Approximately,
ie = (3V-0.7V)/0.5K = 4.6 mA which when multiplied by Rc = 3K gives Vcc - Vc = 13.8V, exceeding even the Vcc power supply.

(How did I do that? I just assumed β = ∞, a reasonable approx. with the low value of Rb).

To get your answer, you need 3 more equations:

Obviously,

ie = ic + ib

and ic = βib.

Then you need one more. Hint: what is the current ib thru Rb? And if you know Ve do you automatically also know Vb?

That's 5 independent equations and 5 unknowns: the three currents plus emitter and collector voltages. Set Vc - Ve = 0 and solve for Re.

Thank you both for your great help!

I would first like to clarify that transistor circuit analysis is a complex and multi-faceted topic, and it is not possible to fully explain it in a short response. However, I will try my best to address your questions and provide some guidance.

To begin with, the solver may have assumed the transistor to be in saturation mode because it is a common assumption in circuit analysis. It simplifies the equations and makes them easier to solve, especially for introductory or basic circuit analysis problems. However, it is important to note that this assumption may not always hold true in real-life scenarios and may need to be revisited in more advanced analyses.

Moving on to your second question, the equations do not change because they are still valid in the active region. In the active region, the transistor is biased such that both the base-emitter and collector-emitter junctions are forward biased. This means that the transistor is conducting and the equations still hold true. The reverse-biased BC diode does not affect the equations as it is essentially acting as an open circuit in this case.

Finally, to calculate the minimal RE needed for the transistor to be active, one needs to consider the operating point of the transistor. This is determined by the biasing circuit and can be found by solving the equations you mentioned. Once the operating point is known, the value of RE can be chosen to ensure that the transistor remains in the active region.

I hope this helps clarify some of your doubts. However, I would highly recommend seeking further resources or consulting with a knowledgeable individual for a better understanding of transistor circuit analysis. It is a fundamental concept in electronics and understanding it thoroughly is crucial for any scientist or engineer in this field. Best of luck with your studies!

1. What is a transistor circuit analysis?

A transistor circuit analysis is the process of studying the behavior and characteristics of a transistor in an electronic circuit. It involves using mathematical equations and principles to analyze the performance of the circuit and predict its output.

2. Why is transistor circuit analysis important?

Transistor circuit analysis is important because transistors are essential components in modern electronic devices. By understanding their behavior and characteristics, we can design and optimize circuits for specific purposes, leading to more efficient and reliable devices.

3. What are the different types of transistor circuit analysis?

There are two main types of transistor circuit analysis: DC analysis and AC analysis. DC analysis focuses on the behavior of the circuit under steady-state conditions, while AC analysis considers the effects of varying input signals on the circuit's output.

4. What are the key parameters in a transistor circuit analysis?

The key parameters in a transistor circuit analysis include the transistor's gain, input impedance, output impedance, and frequency response. These parameters determine how the transistor will amplify and manipulate the input signal.

5. What are some common techniques used in transistor circuit analysis?

Some common techniques used in transistor circuit analysis include Kirchhoff's laws, Thevenin's theorem, and the use of small-signal models. These methods help simplify complex circuits and make it easier to analyze the behavior of individual components, such as transistors.