Transistor Gain Calculation for Amplification: Requirements and Calculations

In summary, the problem asks for the minimum gain of a transistor circuit needed to amplify a 2.5 uA signal to at least 0.1 A. By dividing the desired output current by the input current, a gain of 40,000 is calculated. The second question asks how many transistors, each with a gain of 10, are needed in a series to achieve this gain. The correct answer is 5 transistors, as 10^5 equals 100,000. The confusion may have arisen from mistaking uA (microamp) for mA (milliamp).
felipenavarro

Homework Statement

If a transistor circuit is used to amplify a 2.5 mA signal to at least
0.1 A, what must be the minimum gain of the transistor circuit?

b. Assume the amplifier consists of a number of transistors in series,
each with a gain of 10. How many transistors are needed in this circuit? (Hint: Two such transistors in series would provide a total gain
of 10 × 10 = 100.)

Homework Equations

gain current = output current/imput current

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first question i got that the current gain should be 40,000 by dividing .1 by 2.5*10^-6. i am not sure if this is correct, but if it is then how is it possible to get to 40,000 by multypling tens?(for question b)

Physics news on Phys.org
felipenavarro said:

Homework Statement

If a transistor circuit is used to amplify a 2.5 mA signal to at least
0.1 A, what must be the minimum gain of the transistor circuit?

b. Assume the amplifier consists of a number of transistors in series,
each with a gain of 10. How many transistors are needed in this circuit? (Hint: Two such transistors in series would provide a total gain
of 10 × 10 = 100.)

Homework Equations

gain current = output current/imput current

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first question i got that the current gain should be 40,000 by dividing .1 by 2.5*10^-6. i am not sure if this is correct, but if it is then how is it possible to get to 40,000 by multypling tens?(for question b)

How many ma are in an amp? How many in .1 amp?

well 1 million in an amp and 100,000 in .1 amps, so is this the answer for question b? that would be 5 transistors of ten in a row.
but don't i have to get the same answer (as a total amplification) as in question a?

felipenavarro said:
well 1 million in an amp and 100,000 in .1 amps, so is this the answer for question b? that would be 5 transistors of ten in a row.
but don't i have to get the same answer (as a total amplification) as in question a?

Ah, well now see ... THAT'S where your problem is the Greek letter mu is the symbol for micro. The "ma" means MILLIamp, not microamp.

oh! i don't know why it changed to ma the original problem uses mu i still need help with the problem! haha

but if it is then how is it possible to get to 40,000 by multypling tens

The question says

If a transistor circuit is used to amplify a 2.5 uA signal to at least 0.1 A

So a gain of 100,000 would also be acceptable.

ah! got to read with more attention! thanks !

1. What is a transistor gain problem?

A transistor gain problem refers to a situation where the gain, or amplification, of a transistor is not performing as expected or desired. This can result in a weaker output signal, causing issues with the overall functioning of the circuit or device.

2. What causes a transistor gain problem?

There are several potential causes of a transistor gain problem, including incorrect biasing, damaged or faulty components, and improper circuit design. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect transistor gain.

3. How can I troubleshoot a transistor gain problem?

To troubleshoot a transistor gain problem, you can perform various tests and checks, such as measuring the voltage and current at different points in the circuit, checking for loose connections or damaged components, and comparing the circuit design to the transistor's specifications.

4. Can a transistor gain problem be fixed?

In many cases, a transistor gain problem can be fixed by identifying and addressing the underlying cause. This may involve replacing damaged components, adjusting biasing, or redesigning the circuit. However, in some cases, the transistor may need to be replaced if it is faulty.

5. How can I prevent transistor gain problems?

To prevent transistor gain problems, it is important to properly design and test circuits before implementation. Additionally, following manufacturer specifications and ensuring proper biasing and component selection can help prevent potential issues. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help identify and address any potential transistor gain problems before they become more serious.