Troubleshooting Transistor Switching with Arduino

• Thread starter nothign
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary: Putting a load between the emitter and ground doesn't work. Putting the load between the 12V supply and the collector might work.
nothign
Transistor Switching with the Arduino

I know nothing about electrical engineering..

I have a TIP3055 NPN Transistor rated at 60V and 10Amps .. I have 12v 2amp current coming off of a "power supply" that's plugged into a regular american grounded wall outlet. The 12v is plugged into the transistor's collector and the ground is plugged into the emitter. But when I do an analogWrite off 255 from the 3rd pin on my arduino to the Base it doesn't respond (except for oddly messing up an LCD display I have hooked up to it).

But when I connect 5v from the arduino to the collector and a resistor followed by an LED to ground to the emitter then it lights up...

SOO how can I trouble shoot this?

I'm basically trying to switch that wall current on and off to heat up some nicrome because 5v obviously won't do it but I don't want it continuously on.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

nothign said:
The 12v is plugged into the transistor's collector and the ground is plugged into the emitter.

Where was the nichrome wire connected?

The nicrome is connected after the emitter and goes to ground..

so 12v (from powersupply) -> Transistor Collector -> Transistor Emitter -> Nicrome -> Ground (from power supply)

Then arduino pin 3 -> Transistor Base

how much current can your arduino pump into the base?
note 3055 doesn't have a lot of current gain.

Putting a load between the emitter and ground doesn't work on an npn transistor. When current flows through the load, the emitter voltage rises and Vbe falls partially switching off the transistor. Put the load between the 12V supply and the collector.

Moving the load between the 12v and the collector didnt seem to change anything.. the LCD screen gets crazy and the nichrome remains unaffected.

Im still frustrated by this but now I think I am going to switch to using a relay to see if it works any better.

You might be safer using a relay to do the actual switching.

These have a coil which attracts a piece of soft iron and this pulls some contacts together. You can use these contacts to do the actual switching.

The Arduino may be able to supply enough current for the coil or you may need to use your transistor to amplify the current. This may be safer for the Arduino.

You would use a circuit like this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/relay%20driver2.JPG

The contacts above the rectangle marked "relay" would be used to switch the power to the nichrome wire.

The resistor marked "R" will depend on the resistance of the coil relay, but something like 1000 ohms might be OK. Don't omit this resistor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with the Arduino. Are you trying to use an analogue output or a pulse width modulated (PWM) output? If it's an analogue output I think you will struggle because most interface cards have very limited output current capability. If it's a PWM output then you need to assume it acts like a switch to ground and not a voltage source. Logic 1 is when the "switch" is closed and the output is 0V. Logic 0 is when the switch is open and the output just floats. A small npn transistor can be turned on by adding a pullup resistor but not something big like a 3055. You could use a pnp, either a big one to drive the load directly or better, a small one that is then used to drive the 3055.
Big power transistors have low gain so they need a lot of base current.

1. How can I troubleshoot a transistor switching circuit with an Arduino?

To troubleshoot a transistor switching circuit with an Arduino, you should first check all connections to ensure they are properly connected. Next, check the code to make sure it is correctly written. You can also use a multimeter to check for any shorts or breaks in the circuit. Additionally, you may need to adjust the values of resistors or capacitors to optimize the switching behavior.

2. Why is my transistor not switching when I send a signal from the Arduino?

There could be several reasons why your transistor is not switching when sending a signal from the Arduino. First, check the connections to make sure they are secure. Next, make sure the transistor is connected in the correct orientation and the right pins are being used. You may also need to adjust the code or the values of the components in the circuit.

3. Can I use any type of transistor for switching with an Arduino?

No, not all transistors are suitable for use with an Arduino. You should use a transistor that is compatible with the voltage and current requirements of your circuit. Additionally, make sure the transistor's switching speed is fast enough for your project.

4. How do I test if my transistor is working properly?

To test if your transistor is working properly, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. You can also use an LED as a visual indicator of the transistor's switching behavior. If the measured values match the expected values and the LED is turning on and off as expected, then your transistor is working properly.

5. My transistor is getting hot, is this normal?

No, a transistor should not get hot during normal operation. This could be a sign of a short circuit or incorrect values of components in the circuit. It is important to troubleshoot and fix the issue to prevent damage to the transistor or other components in the circuit.