1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistor in cutoff?

1. Jun 30, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The threshold voltage (Vtp) of this p-channel transistor is -0.4V. Determine the region of operation of this transistor.

2. Relevant equations

Vsg + Vtp = Vsd(sat)

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the gate-source voltage is 0V, and the threshold voltage is -0.4V, the saturation voltage should be -0.4V. The source is at 2.2V, and the drain terminal is connected to ground potential. Because this Vsd is greater than the saturation voltage that I found using the above equation, I thought this transistor was in saturation mode. However, the book's answer says that the transistor is in cutoff because the gate-source voltage is zero.

I thought that if the gate-source voltage (0V) is greater than the threshold voltage (-0.4V), the transistor could not be in cutoff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This seems like a very easy problem, but I have just started studying transistors so I am still trying to conceptually grasp them.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Define Vsg as Vs - Vg. Then a p channel MOSFET is always in cutoff when Vsg < Vt where I define Vt to always be positive. Look again at your equations for cutoff, saturation and linear modes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted