1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistor (MOFSET) confusion

1. Jan 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I currently reading about transistors in a solid state course. And the transistor is a MOFSET, which I have to describe. I can't really find a nice figure of the one I have in my book, so I will just try to explain my confusion.

It says that you make a MOFSET by having a p-doped substrate in which you have two n-doped regions (source and drain), which are connected by an oxide layer, which again is connected to a metal electrode (gate).

Now, when you "open" the gate, you repel the holes underneath the oxide layer, making "room" for electrons and attracting them, right ? And first when you apply a voltage, there is enough energy to make the electrons move from source to drain, or maybe I have misunderstood something ?

So, my main question is: Since the p-substrate has a lot of holes, why are the electrons from the two n-type regions not attracted to them, even when there is no gate or voltage applied ? Why do they first start to be attracted when the gate is opened, and making the oxide layer positive ?

Don't know if I have explained it in a good way, but I hope you understand.

2. Relevant equations

EDIT:
    I actually have the figure from my book right here:

http://i.imgur.com/Qda9msK.png

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2014 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The positive charge of the holes in the p-substrate is balanced by the negative charge of the acceptor atoms in the p-substrate. So the p-substrate is charge-neutral and there is no net charge to attract electrons from the n-type source and drain. It is only when a positive voltage (larger than the threshold voltage) is applied to the gate that an n-type channel forms between the source and drain. Does this answer your question?

4. Jan 20, 2014 #3
    Indeed it did :)

Although, the threshold voltage, how is that defined ?

5. Jan 20, 2014 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted