What are the mistakes in determining output impedance using h-parameter model?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the output impedance of a circuit using the h-parameter model. The formula for output impedance is Zout = V(open circuit)/I(short circuit), where ie = C ib. By considering Rb << Re, the simplified formula Zout = Rb/C is obtained. However, there is confusion about whether the output impedance should be defined as differential impedance or Vdrain/Idrain. Further clarification on the desired output impedance is needed.
DamunaTaliffato

I have this curcuit. I want to discover the output impedance. Using h-parameter model I get the second circuit. I know that Zout= V(open circuit)/I(short circuit) and ie = C ib, where C is an appropriate proportionality factor.

Vol = V1 Re/(Rb+Re) = (Rb ib + Re ie) Re/(Rb+Re)
Isc = ie = C ib
Then, if I consider Rb << Re I get:
Zout = Re + Rb/C
The problem is that the answer is just Rb/C. What are my mistakes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
DamunaTaliffato said:
View attachment 244129
I have this curcuit. I want to discover the output impedance. Using h-parameter model I get the second circuit. I know that Zout= V(open circuit)/I(short circuit) and ie = C ib, where C is an appropriate proportionality factor.
View attachment 244130
Vol = V1 Re/(Rb+Re) = (Rb ib + Re ie) Re/(Rb+Re)
Isc = ie = C ib
Then, if I consider Rb << Re I get:
Zout = Re + Rb/C
The problem is that the answer is just Rb/C. What are my mistakes?
Typically output impedance is defined as differential impedance, i.e. d(Vdrain)/d(Idrain), not as Vdrain/Idrain

1. What is transistor output impedance?

Transistor output impedance refers to the resistance that a transistor presents to the circuit connected to its output. It is a measure of how much the output voltage will change for a given change in current through the transistor.

2. Why is transistor output impedance important?

Transistor output impedance is important because it affects the performance and stability of a circuit. A lower output impedance means that the transistor can deliver more current to the load, while a higher output impedance can lead to voltage drops and distortion in the output signal.

3. How is transistor output impedance calculated?

Transistor output impedance is typically calculated using the formula Z = V/I, where Z is the output impedance, V is the change in output voltage, and I is the change in output current. This can also be represented as the slope of the output voltage versus output current graph.

4. What factors affect transistor output impedance?

The main factors that affect transistor output impedance include the transistor's internal resistance, the load resistance, and the frequency of the input signal. Additionally, the type of transistor and its biasing also play a role in determining the output impedance.

5. How can transistor output impedance be reduced?

Transistor output impedance can be reduced by using a transistor with a lower internal resistance, increasing the load resistance, or implementing negative feedback in the circuit. Additionally, using a transistor with a higher gain can also help reduce output impedance.