Troubleshooting a Transistor-Based Power Supply Circuit

• Thread starter alanebro82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, the individual is attempting to create a power supply for a project using a reference voltage of 4.1V and a supply voltage of 4.8-5.0V. They are using an opamp as a voltage follower and a transistor to supply current. However, their circuit is not working as intended and the output remains at Vcc instead of matching the input. The individual is considering using a PNP transistor instead of an NPN, but is experiencing a significant voltage drop when a load is added. A suggestion is made to incorporate an NPN stage between the opamp and PNP transistor to prevent high-frequency oscillations.
alanebro82
I'm trying to create a simple power supply for a project, but it's not working correctly. I have a reference voltage (4.1V) and a supply voltage (4.8-5.0V). My goal is to connect an opamp functioning as a voltage follower with a transistor used to supply the adequate current.

Circuit1.jpg

That is a drawing of my circuit, sorry for the quality.

Edit: Forgot to mention that it isn't working. My output is stuck at Vcc, when it should be pulled to the same value as my input. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The circuit you have drawn can't work. You have a transistor configured as an inverting amplifier and you have negative feedback to the opamp. In the end, you have positive feedback.

If you want the opamp circuit to be a current-amplifying voltage follower, use an NPN transistor with the collector at Vcc, the base driven by the opamp, and the emitter connected to the load. Connect the emitter to the inverting input of the opamp directly, so that Ve = V+ (the positive input of the opamp).

Be sure that the opamp power supplies are wide enough that V+, V- and Vout of the opamp are within the voltage specifications of the opamp.

The problem is that my supply voltage is pretty much capped at 4.8 volts, and I am using a single supply op amp, so Vcc = 4.8V (insead of +-4.8V).

That is why I was leaning toward using a PNP instead of an NPN. I switched my input to go into the negative and I now have positive feedback. The circuit works like a charm... with no load. When I throw any load on it, the voltage drops drastically on the output.

Maybe try putting an NPN stage between the opamp output and the PNP input. You're going to have to start being careful about high-frequency oscillations, though with that extra delay...

What is a transistor?

A transistor is a semiconductor device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals. It is composed of three layers of a material called a semiconductor, typically silicon, which is doped with impurities to create a p-n junction.

How does a transistor work?

A transistor works by controlling the flow of electrons or holes (positive charge carriers) between the three layers of the semiconductor material. By applying a small voltage to the middle layer, known as the base, the transistor can amplify or switch the flow of current between the other two layers, known as the emitter and collector.

What are the different types of transistors?

There are two main types of transistors: bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) and field-effect transistors (FETs). BJTs have three layers of semiconductor material and are commonly used for switching and amplification. FETs have a different structure and are used in applications such as power amplifiers and voltage regulators.

What are some common problems with transistors?

Some common problems with transistors include overheating, incorrect connections, and failure due to manufacturing defects or physical damage. It is important to ensure proper cooling and handling of transistors to prevent these issues.

How do I troubleshoot transistor problems?

To troubleshoot transistor problems, you can use a multimeter to test for proper connections and voltage levels. You can also check for any physical damage or overheating. If the transistor is not functioning correctly, it may need to be replaced or reconfigured in the circuit.