Understanding the Effect of a Capacitor Across Transistor Base & Collector

• Thread starter unplebeian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary, the addition of a capacitor (1uF) across the base and collector of a transistor slows it down by providing feedback of high frequencies from the collector to the base. This can be analyzed using the concept of Miller capacitance, but the specific section in the textbook "Analog devices" by Gaussi is unknown.
unplebeian

Homework Statement

What does a capacitor across the base and collector of the transistor do? Apparantly adding a cap (1uF) will slow it down. Can anyone explain how?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you already studied feedback? The capacitor provides a feedback of high frequencies from the collector to the base.

Can you please elaborate or provide me with a reference. I have a text by Gaussi on Analog devices. What section does this come in (miller capacitance??)

unplebeian said:
Can you please elaborate or provide me with a reference. I have a text by Gaussi on Analog devices. What section does this come in (miller capacitance??)

I don't know your textbook. Miller capacitance is a way of analyzing the effect of the feedback provided by your capacitor.

1. What is the purpose of a capacitor across a transistor base and collector?

The capacitor helps to stabilize the voltage at the base and collector of the transistor, preventing fluctuations and ensuring the transistor operates within its desired range.

2. How does a capacitor affect the performance of a transistor?

The capacitor helps to smooth out any sudden changes in voltage at the base and collector, which can improve the overall stability and accuracy of the transistor's output.

3. Can a capacitor be used in any type of transistor circuit?

Yes, a capacitor can be used in various transistor circuits, including common-emitter, common-base, and common-collector configurations.

4. Is there a specific value or type of capacitor that is best for use across a transistor base and collector?

The value of the capacitor will depend on the specific circuit and desired performance. However, smaller capacitors with lower capacitance values are typically used in these types of circuits. As for the type, ceramic capacitors are commonly used due to their stability, low cost, and compact size.

5. Can a capacitor across a transistor base and collector ever have a negative effect?

In certain cases, a capacitor may introduce unwanted noise or instability into the circuit. It is important to carefully select the appropriate value and type of capacitor for the specific transistor circuit to avoid any negative effects.