1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistor radio/kWh problem

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    **Transistor radio/kWh problem**

A transistor radio operates by means of a 10.0 V battery that supplies it with a 48 mA current.

(a) If the cost of the battery is $0.55 and it lasts for 300 h, what is the cost per kWh to operate the radio in this manner?
    3.819 dollars/kWh

(b) The same radio, by means of a converter, is plugged into a household circuit by a homeowner who pays 6¢ per kWh. What does it now cost to operate the radio for 300 h?
    ??? cents

I got Question A but I have tried everything on Question B and I do not understand what I am doing wrong. For some reason, I think it is easier than what I'm trying to do.

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2
    Re: **Transistor radio/kWh problem**

Work out the number of kilowatt hours and multiply by 6.Note that the question gives the current in mA and not A and note also the the power must be expressed in kW and not W.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3

So if one kWh = 3.6E6 J, and the total energy is 518,400 J..

(3.6E6)/(518400) = 6.9444

--> (6.9444)(6) = 41.666

Is 41.666 cents the answer? I only have two more tries left and I don't want to get it wrong. I'm not sure if those are the correct unit conversions

5. Jan 24, 2009 #4

W=10*48/1000
    kW=above/1000
    kWh=above*300
    cost=above*6

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?