V."Calculating Vce: What to Know

• Thread starter nothing909
  • Start date
In summary: It covers all sorts of applications.In summary, the transistor is used to turn an input voltage (12V in this example) into an output voltage (0V in this example). A current limiting resistor is needed to protect the transistor from over-discharging and to limit the power the transistor can dissipate.
nothing909

Homework Statement

Calculate Vce.

The Attempt at a Solution

Without any values or anything, I just want to know if the Vce is the difference between the voltage at the collector and the voltage at the emitter. So if there's like a 12V supply and the transistor is on, then Vce would be 12-12=0 and if its off Vce will = 12

Physics news on Phys.org
nothing909 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate Vce.

The Attempt at a Solution

Without any values or anything, I just want to know if the Vce is the difference between the voltage at the collector and the voltage at the emitter. So if there's like a 12V supply and the transistor is on, then Vce would be 12-12=0 and if its off Vce will = 12
Mostly. You need a collector resistor when the transistor is on to limit the current, and the lowest you can go is Vce,sat. But you probably already know that... :smile:

Why do I need a current limiting resistor at the collector and how do I calculate at current limiting resistor if I have a 12V supply to it?

nothing909 said:
Why do I need a current limiting resistor at the collector and how do I calculate at current limiting resistor if I have a 12V supply to it?
Because if you turn on a transistor that is connected across a 12V supply, you will let the smoke out of it...

lol, ok, how do I calculate a the value I need for the resistor?

nothing909 said:
lol, ok, how do I calculate a the value I need for the resistor?

That can be very easy to calculate or much harder depending on what you are doing. If you are just using the transistor as an On and Off switch and it's switching relatively slowly then it's not so hard...

How much current can the transistor handle (max collector current)? Let's say it can handle 1A. Then R=V/I = 12/1 = 12 Ohms. eg it must be larger than 12 Ohms.

However you might also need to check how much power the transistor can dissipate. Suppose the transistor can only dissipate 0.2W without a heat sink. If Vcesat is 0.3V then the power dissipated would be 0.3V * 1A = 0.3W which is too much. So either add a heat sink or increase R.

If the transistor is being used as a linear amplifier then it's much more complicated. See the turorial Berkman posted.

What is Vce and why is it important to calculate it?

Vce stands for collector-emitter voltage and is an important parameter in determining the operating characteristics of a transistor. It is crucial to calculate Vce because it helps us understand how the transistor will behave in a circuit and allows us to design and optimize circuits for specific applications.

How is Vce calculated?

Vce can be calculated by subtracting the emitter voltage (Ve) from the collector voltage (Vc). In simpler terms, it is the voltage drop across the collector-emitter junction of a transistor.

What are the units of Vce?

Vce is typically measured in volts (V), as it is a measure of voltage drop. However, in some cases, it may also be expressed in millivolts (mV).

Why is it important to know the maximum Vce rating of a transistor?

The maximum Vce rating of a transistor is important as it determines the maximum voltage that can be applied across the collector-emitter junction before the transistor gets damaged. Exceeding this rating can lead to the breakdown of the transistor and potentially cause circuit failure.

How does Vce affect the amplification of a signal?

Vce has a direct impact on the amplification of a signal. As Vce increases, the amplification of the signal decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher Vce leads to a decrease in the gain of the transistor, which in turn affects the amplification of the signal passing through it.