1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistors and Diode Test

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1

TFM

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Explain why the BC junction will give a smaller voltage drop, and will thus have a higher voltage measured then a BE Junction.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, hopefully this is the right section to post this in. See, I have read the book, 'The Art of Electronics', and from this I seemed to have gathered the following:

'The difference in voltages occurs because the BC requires more energy, because it is flowing anti-biased, whilst the BE will be conductive, and allows the current to flow more easily,'

However, what I wrote seems to go against the above, it would indicate that the BE should have the smaller drop/higher voltage measured?

Thanks,

TFM

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Look at the equation for the built-in potential barrier [tex]V_{bi}[/tex]. That's all you need to answer this question.

4. Dec 7, 2008 #3

TFM

Does it have any other names, because I am looking through 'The Art of Electronics', and cannot find it in there? and this is a big book!

TFM

5. Dec 7, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

6. Dec 7, 2008 #5

TFM

There isn't anything like that on the transistor section :bugeye:

This is a physics course, but this section, practical electronics, is more about cicuits. No mention of ions in the Transistor section?

TFM

7. Dec 7, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

? Are you sure about that? But surely that equation is present somewhere? The acceptor and donor ion concentrations refer to the concentration of acceptor and donor atoms in the doped semiconductor.

8. Dec 8, 2008 #7

TFM

Pretty sure - the course really is about setting up circuits, despite being in a physics course, and the book is for electronics students really.

9. Dec 8, 2008 #8

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

The Art of Electronics is a good reference / review book (or for getting up and running with practical--and simpler electronics), but not so great for really learning about semiconductor operation. Try Solid State Electronic Devices (Streetman and Bannerjee) or Microelectronic Circuits (Sedra and Smith)--generic EE semiconductor physics and active device books, for a better introduction.

Then again, the answer to your problem is (partially) answered at the Wikipedia page on BJTs under structure (along with what Defennder says):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjt#Structure

10. Dec 8, 2008 #9

TFM

Looking at Wikipedia, is this a useful reference:

Looks useful,

TFM

11. Dec 8, 2008 #10

Defennder

Homework Helper

Yes it looks correct to my knowledge. Except I don't know enough to verify that "a of the reverse mode is lower than 0.5". Clearly the bulk of semiconductor device physics focuses on the forward active region of the BJT so I didn't study the three other less used modes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?