Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transistors vs breast implants

1. Sep 23, 2003 #1
    What is the relationship, if any other than homophony, between silicon and silicone?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2003 #2
    silicone is a polymer of alternating Si and O bonds.

4. Sep 24, 2003 #3
    Don't forget the methyl group side chains.

monomer unit of [(CH3)2SiO]

5. Sep 24, 2003 #4
    well yeah of course, except it doesn't need to be methyl groups.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  6. Sep 25, 2003 #5

Another God

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

LOL, yeah, 'of course'...because we all knew about them

7. Sep 25, 2003 #6
    it's clear when you look at the valence of silicon and what's sitting right above it in the periodic table :smile:. however it's not 1/10 as versatile or abundant as carbon, which is why we don't see silicon based life anywhere around here .

8. Sep 25, 2003 #7
    It's clear by the valence that silicone needs a methyl or some other alkyl group? Wow, I didn't know that, and I'm an organic chemist. And I guess I should toss my geology notes, because they say silicon is a far more abundant element than carbon.

9. Sep 25, 2003 #8
    i was just saying that it's clear that silicone is not simply Si-O-Si-O..., which is what i said in the first reply. i never said "it's clear by the valence that silicone needs a methyl or some other alkyl group". please don't put words in my mouth...

and yeah silicon is more abundant in earth, but less abundant in the universe, i just got the two mixed up. which is just one of many reason silicon based life is not very likely in the universe. give me some slack, i wrote the last reply in math class...

10. Sep 25, 2003 #9
    Actually, you don't see them because they move slowly and are very clever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?