Transistors vs breast implants

Main Question or Discussion Point

What is the relationship, if any other than homophony, between silicon and silicone?

Answers and Replies

silicone is a polymer of alternating Si and O bonds.

Originally posted by HazZy
silicone is a polymer of alternating Si and O bonds.
Don't forget the methyl group side chains.

monomer unit of [(CH3)2SiO]

well yeah of course, except it doesn't need to be methyl groups.

Last edited:
Another God
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
well yeah of course, except it doesn't need to be methyl groups.
LOL, yeah, 'of course'...because we all knew about them

it's clear when you look at the valence of silicon and what's sitting right above it in the periodic table :smile:. however it's not 1/10 as versatile or abundant as carbon, which is why we don't see silicon based life anywhere around here .

it's clear when you look at the valence of silicon and what's sitting right above it in the periodic table :smile:. however it's not 1/10 as versatile or abundant as carbon, which is why we don't see silicon based life anywhere around here .
It's clear by the valence that silicone needs a methyl or some other alkyl group? Wow, I didn't know that, and I'm an organic chemist. And I guess I should toss my geology notes, because they say silicon is a far more abundant element than carbon.

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
It's clear by the valence that silicone needs a methyl or some other alkyl group? Wow, I didn't know that, and I'm an organic chemist. And I guess I should toss my geology notes, because they say silicon is a far more abundant element than carbon.
i was just saying that it's clear that silicone is not simply Si-O-Si-O..., which is what i said in the first reply. i never said "it's clear by the valence that silicone needs a methyl or some other alkyl group". please don't put words in my mouth...

and yeah silicon is more abundant in earth, but less abundant in the universe, i just got the two mixed up. which is just one of many reason silicon based life is not very likely in the universe. give me some slack, i wrote the last reply in math class...

Actually, you don't see them because they move slowly and are very clever.