Transistors-Why can't a pn junction and np junction in series be a pnp transistor?

• Thread starter phjw
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi i'm practising past papers however have no answers.
one of the questions says:

Why can a p-n junction connected in series with an n-p junction not act as an p-n-p transistor.

My only thoughts were that the base element must be thin (approx 10 wavelengths of light) and in thus in this set up the base would be to thick.

However i'm sure there must be a better answer any help would be amazing cheers ozzie

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award

Your junction has how many wires connected to it? How many does a transistor need?

cheers so obvious!

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Your junction has how many wires connected to it? How many does a transistor need?
Actually, two diodes connected in series HAVE three possible terminals. The point is that two separate diodes have no effect on each other. A transistor is different in that the base is part of both of the two diodes that 'appear' to be in it. So current into the (thin) base and from the emitter can affect/control the current that flows from collector to emitter (through the collector-base diode which is reverse biased or the wrong way round). A piece of wire between two diodes wouldn't achieve this at all.