Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transit of Mercury 2006

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

..or planning to measure it and recalculate the size of the solar system?

4. Nov 7, 2006 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For anyone in San Francisco, San Francisco State University's Astronomy department will be setting up telescopes, including ahydrogen-alpha Coronodo for the event. Looks like it may be foggy though.

5. Nov 7, 2006 #4
    Woah! I hope not to miss it! Can we see it in Quebec?

6. Nov 7, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I was actually thinking of taking a telescope to work with me tomorrow. Fortunately, :uhh: heavy rain is going to keep me from getting fired... :frown:

7. Nov 7, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

As long as you can see the sun.... It starts at about 2:15 in the afternoon (EST) and ends at 7:00.

8. Nov 7, 2006 #7
    Thank you.. alltrought.. lets see if I can repair my telescope.. They won't like seeing my telescope at school tommorow. So i'll try tonight :P

9. Nov 8, 2006 #8

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's underway. Mercury is very near a large sunspot. Compared to the sunspot, Mercury looks very small, very dark, and very round.

10. Nov 8, 2006 #9
    BOOOH ITS CLOUDY!! CAN'T SEE IT! :( maybe if get on my roof top and get my telescope over the clouds....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  11. Nov 8, 2006 #10

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

12. Nov 8, 2006 #11

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A very successful observation session from San Francisco State University campus! A rainy night and cloudy morning turned to bright Sun just in time for the transit. Not a cloud would be seen for the rest of the day.

I watched the first 45 minutes from home, then brought my telescope down to campus to join three other telescopes set up there. There were hundreds (someone said 1500) people over the course of the 5 hour transit who got a chance to see Mercury's sillouhette on the face of Sol.
    Some were disappointed: "Oh, that's all?". Others: "Wow! that's so cool!"

Mercury entered Sol's disk near a large sunspot that is probably 3 times larger than Earth. Mercury's small disk marched across the face of the Sun over the next 5 hours, passing near two small sunspots before leaving the solar disk.

13. Nov 8, 2006 #12
    Here in Singapore we get to view it after sunrise today, from about 7am to 8.10am. Nice view. :approve: A big sunspot is on the other hemisphere of the Sun, a few smaller ones are near to Mercury.

14. Nov 9, 2006 #13
    Missed it all... CLOUDY!! and rainy...

15. Nov 12, 2006 #14
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?