Transit of Mercury 2006: Tips for Capturing Photos | Physics Forums Blog

In summary, there was a discussion about the transit of Mercury in 2006 and various people were planning to observe it or take pictures. Some were able to successfully observe it, while others were disappointed due to cloudy or rainy weather. The transit was observed from various locations, including San Francisco State University and Singapore. Some were able to see Mercury passing near a large sunspot, while others saw it near smaller sunspots. A photo was taken by the SOHO spacecraft and can be viewed online.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog/2006/11/06/transit-of-mercury-2006/

Anyone planning to take pictures?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
..or planning to measure it and recalculate the size of the solar system?

For anyone in San Francisco, San Francisco State University's Astronomy department will be setting up telescopes, including ahydrogen-alpha Coronodo for the event. Looks like it may be foggy though.

Woah! I hope not to miss it! Can we see it in Quebec?

I was actually thinking of taking a telescope to work with me tomorrow. Fortunately, :uhh: heavy rain is going to keep me from getting fired... :frown:

DaxInvader said:
Woah! I hope not to miss it! Can we see it in Quebec?
As long as you can see the sun... It starts at about 2:15 in the afternoon (EST) and ends at 7:00.

Thank you.. alltrought.. let's see if I can repair my telescope.. They won't like seeing my telescope at school tommorow. So i'll try tonight :P

It's underway. Mercury is very near a large sunspot. Compared to the sunspot, Mercury looks very small, very dark, and very round.

BOOOH ITS CLOUDY! CAN'T SEE IT! :( maybe if get on my roof top and get my telescope over the clouds...

A very successful observation session from San Francisco State University campus! A rainy night and cloudy morning turned to bright Sun just in time for the transit. Not a cloud would be seen for the rest of the day.

I watched the first 45 minutes from home, then brought my telescope down to campus to join three other telescopes set up there. There were hundreds (someone said 1500) people over the course of the 5 hour transit who got a chance to see Mercury's sillouhette on the face of Sol.
Some were disappointed: "Oh, that's all?". Others: "Wow! that's so cool!"

Mercury entered Sol's disk near a large sunspot that is probably 3 times larger than Earth. Mercury's small disk marched across the face of the Sun over the next 5 hours, passing near two small sunspots before leaving the solar disk.

Here in Singapore we get to view it after sunrise today, from about 7am to 8.10am. Nice view. :approve: A big sunspot is on the other hemisphere of the Sun, a few smaller ones are near to Mercury.

Missed it all... CLOUDY! and rainy...

In Arizona it was great.

For photo see:

http://uanews.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/UANews.woa/wa/MainStoryDetails?ArticleID=13313

and for a great picture taken by the SOHO spacecraft :

http://www.tucsonastronomy.org/PDF/Newsletter_Archive/TAAA_Newsletter_200611.pdf

1. What is the Transit of Mercury?

The Transit of Mercury is a rare astronomical event where the planet Mercury passes directly between the Earth and the Sun, appearing as a small black dot moving across the surface of the Sun. This event only occurs about 13 times per century.

2. When did the Transit of Mercury 2006 occur?

The Transit of Mercury 2006 occurred on November 8, 2006. It was visible from most parts of the world, except for Australia and eastern Asia.

3. What equipment do I need to capture photos of the Transit of Mercury 2006?

You will need a telescope with a solar filter, a camera capable of taking high-quality photos, and a stable tripod. It is also recommended to use a remote shutter release or a timer function to minimize camera shake.

4. What are some tips for capturing photos of the Transit of Mercury 2006?

First, make sure your equipment is set up and aligned properly before the event begins. Use a solar filter to protect your eyes and camera from the intense sunlight. Experiment with different exposure settings and try to take multiple photos to capture the different phases of the transit. Be patient and keep adjusting your settings as needed.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when photographing the Transit of Mercury 2006?

Yes, it is extremely important to never look directly at the Sun without proper eye protection. Always use a solar filter on your telescope and do not remove it during the transit. Also, be careful not to accidentally point your camera at the Sun without a solar filter. If you plan to use a solar filter on your camera lens, make sure it is securely attached and does not fall off during the event.