Transit of Venus mathematics please.

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for sources on the mathematics of Halley and Horrocks to share with their students. They have searched on Google but have not found any good sources. Another person suggests a NASA website that covers simple geometric methods, although it may not be historically accurate. The original person expresses their gratitude for the link and is currently printing it out.
Adrian Baker
Hi there

I'm looking for a source of the maths that Halley did, and also that of Horrocks so that I can run through it with some Maths/Physics students.

Google searches have given many different sites, but none have been that good so far.

If anyone could help me with a link, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Have you looked at http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/sunearthday/2004/2004images/VT_Activity3.pdf ? It's somewhat ahistorical, but it does cover the simple geometric methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much selfadjoint - that will be absolutely great. :-)

I'm printing it out as we speak...

1. What is the Transit of Venus and why is it significant?

The Transit of Venus is a rare astronomical event where the planet Venus passes between the Earth and the Sun. This event only occurs every 243 years, making it a significant event for scientists to study and understand more about our solar system.

2. How is the Transit of Venus used in mathematics?

The Transit of Venus has been used by scientists to determine the distance between the Earth and the Sun, known as the astronomical unit (AU). This is done by observing the transit from different locations on Earth and using geometry and trigonometry to calculate the parallax angle.

3. What is the parallax angle and why is it important in the Transit of Venus?

The parallax angle is the difference in the apparent position of an object when viewed from different locations. In the Transit of Venus, scientists use the parallax angle to calculate the distance between the Earth and the Sun, which is a key component in understanding the size and scale of our solar system.

4. How is the parallax angle calculated during the Transit of Venus?

The parallax angle is calculated by measuring the difference in the time it takes for Venus to cross the Sun's disk from two different locations on Earth. This time difference is then used in mathematical equations, along with the known distance between the two locations, to calculate the parallax angle and ultimately the distance between the Earth and Sun.

5. What other mathematical concepts are involved in studying the Transit of Venus?

In addition to trigonometry and geometry, scientists also use concepts such as Kepler's laws of planetary motion, orbital mechanics, and spherical geometry to study and understand the Transit of Venus. These mathematical principles help to explain the movements and behavior of Venus and other celestial bodies during this rare event.