Transit of Venus - Witnessed by Excited Friends on a Hazy Day

In summary, a group of friends stayed up all night to watch the transit of Venus, but ended up driving to a farm field to get a better view. They waited until they finally saw the sun rise and the transit happening. Meanwhile, someone else had a disappointing experience trying to see it at sunrise. Another person in the UK had a great view of the transit.
Tom McCurdy
Transit of Venus - WHO SAW IT?

Who Saw it?

I stayed up all night with some of my friends watching movies as we waited for the sun to rise. Then when it started to we realized that the sun we could probably get a better view if we found a open farm field. So we all piled in a car, and I had some random bloody nose, and we raced going about 40 above the limit until we found a suitable spot. However it was a hazy day and we waited for 15 minutes or so and figured that the sun had already rose and was behind the clouds given the fact that it was bright around 40 degrees above the horizon and dark near the horizon, however we kept waiting and talking until I saw the a little crescent edge pop out of the horizon as the glorious orb of fire that seemed to be 2 times larger than normal poked her enormous face over the distant tree line. We waited and actually saw the orb rise and the gentle orange glow got stronger and stronger, until we saw the spot. At first we weren't sure, but after awhile we were. It was truly a sight. With the moon still visible, the sun giving an entry worthy of any artist canvas I slowly began to realize what I was seeing. We all got out of the car and started to jump around like giddy school girls wondering if our physics teacher who had went to Port Huron for the event could possibly have a better view than us. We took turns posing for the camera with the sun, and then just starting taking pictures of the sun itself. The lessons of the astronomical meeting began to flood back and it wasn't hard to see how something so compelling could have caused those original scientists to faint.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My story is sad.
I got up at 6am, to watch the transit. Some stupid site told me to watch it between 7:05-7:23, so i did, this was an hour as sunrise stupid me. I saw nothing of course, i was so pumped, and i missed it, crap that was disappointing post your pics please lol

Don't worry, make plans for the 2012 transit :smile:

Had a superb view all morning from here in the UK. I saw it at 6.20am make first contact and saw most of it until it it moved off at 12.20pm.
Awesome.

I almost went blind trying to see the damn thing.

What is the Transit of Venus?

The Transit of Venus is a rare astronomical event where the planet Venus passes in front of the Sun as seen from Earth.

When does the Transit of Venus occur?

The Transit of Venus occurs in pairs, eight years apart, with over a century between each pair. The most recent Transit of Venus was in 2012 and the next one will occur in 2117.

How does the Transit of Venus help us understand the universe?

During the Transit of Venus, scientists can measure the time it takes for Venus to pass in front of the Sun from different locations on Earth. This information can help us calculate the distance between Earth and the Sun, which helps us understand the size and scale of our solar system.

Why is it important to have friends witness the Transit of Venus?

Having friends witness the Transit of Venus can add to the excitement and joy of the event. It also allows for collaboration and discussion of observations, which can lead to a deeper understanding of the event.

Why was the day hazy when the Transit of Venus was witnessed?

The hazy conditions were likely caused by particles in the Earth's atmosphere, such as water vapor or pollution. These particles can scatter sunlight and make the sky appear hazy or cloudy, which can sometimes make viewing astronomical events more challenging.