1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transition Cross Section

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a laser, assume single mode operation, only lifetime broadening due to A21 and A1. Write out the rate equations for the atomic densitions N1 and N2 and the flux [itex]\Phi[/itex].

Then there's a diagram where there's 2 stats. Pump rate is P, stimulated emission between 1 and 2 is allowed, and spontaneous emission from 1 to 2 and from 1 to the reservoir.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Below are the rate equations as I have them. My issue is that I don't know how to get the cross section (σ). I can't find it in the book. The example from class was the same as before, but spontaneous decay could happen from both states 2 and 1, and the pump went into both states also. For that case it was [itex]\sigma = \frac{\lambda^2}{\pi}\frac{A_{21}}{A_{21}+A_{2L}+A_{1L}}.[/itex]

Rate equations:
    [itex]\dot{N_2}=P-\Phi\sigma(N_2-N_1)-A_{21}N_2[/itex]
    [itex]\dot{N_1}=\Phi\sigma(N_2-N_1)+A_{21}N_2-A_1N_1[/itex]
    [itex]\dot{\Phi}=\Phi \frac{c}{2d}[ln(R_1R_2+2l\sigma(N_2-N_1)][/itex]

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's clear, but I need cross section in terms of wavelength/frequency and the A coefficients, as those are filled in later with actual numbers.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2
    The cross section was actually given to me, and I just found it, so my problem is solved. I feel like this is something I should be able to figure out though, so if anyone can show how to I'd get to the solution, that'd be cool.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted