Transition from gas to air

• B
  • Thread starter eway_123
  • Start date

Summary:

gas, air, thermodynamics, physics

Main Question or Discussion Point

good day! I did not find a suitable forum thread, so I am writing here ... There is a valve through which you need to drive gas under a certain pressure, physically there is no way to drive gas, so it was decided to replace the gas with air. Knowing the required pressure and gas temperature, how to create the same air mixture? thank

• Skeptical
Likes davenn

Answers and Replies

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi. What "gas" did you have in mind? Are you talking about Methane (Natural Gas) or perhaps Hydrogen?
Are you suggesting that you need an "air substitute"?

Hi. What "gas" did you have in mind? Are you talking about Methane (Natural Gas) or perhaps Hydrogen?
Are you suggesting that you need an "air substitute"?
yes, Natural Gas-Methane.

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
So you want to know the pressure needed for a particular mass flow rate through a particular sized aperture, compared with what you get with air?

So you want to know the pressure needed for a particular mass flow rate through a particular sized aperture, compared with what you get with air?
yes, I want to know what air pressure is needed to simulate gas passing through this hole

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The pressure for the same mass flow rate for air as for methane?
This link allows you to calculate flow rate for air and methane (many other fluids too) for a range of pipe dimensions. It could give you the answer you seek.

The pressure for the same mass flow rate for air as for methane?
This link allows you to calculate flow rate for air and methane (many other fluids too) for a range of pipe dimensions. It could give you the answer you seek.
Thanks for the answer. Yes, I need to recalculate gas (methane) into air while keeping the flow rate. I looked at the formula:
https://www.mankenberg.ru/ru/55/UPLOAD/pdf/s33_3.pdf