Transition from something to nothing

• Thread starter nate808
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transition
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of breaking a line into smaller pieces and what happens at infinity. The speaker is confused about whether there is a transition from lines to points or if they are two separate entities at infinity. The other person explains that the concept of "at infinity" cannot be reached and is more of a destination, and thus there is no in-between region. They also mention that the result of breaking a line into smaller pieces depends on the limit process used.
nate808
This may sound stupid, but it has always confused me. If you take a line and break it into infinitely smaller pieces, you would have miniscule lines while approaching infinity, yet at an "actual" infinity what is left is just points. What bothers me is, what happens inbetween. Is there some transition from lines to points, or is it just accepted as two separate entities?
--Thanx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
this is like asking what happens between the number 999999999 and the number infinity...

ya but aren't there different sized infinites, with cardinality and things of that nature? I mean i will concede that it is a stupid question, but for some reason i just imagine that there could be things like cantor dust, or fractional dimensions, but I guess not.

Get past the concept of "at infinity" do not think it of something that can be reached, instead think of it as a destination which cannot be reached. Thus, the answer to your question is that you are always in that "in between" region.

Last edited:
nate808 said:
This may sound stupid, but it has always confused me. If you take a line and break it into infinitely smaller pieces, you would have miniscule lines while approaching infinity, yet at an "actual" infinity what is left is just points. What bothers me is, what happens inbetween. Is there some transition from lines to points, or is it just accepted as two separate entities?
--Thanx

Your basic concept of "take a line and break it into infinitely smaller pieces" is meaning less. You would have to describe exactly what limit process you are using. Different limit process will give different results.

1. What is the concept of "transition from something to nothing"?

The concept of "transition from something to nothing" refers to the transformation or change from a state of existence to a state of non-existence. It is often used in scientific discussions about the origin or end of the universe.

2. Is it possible for something to truly become nothing?

This question is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that in the vacuum of space, particles and antiparticles can spontaneously appear and then annihilate each other, resulting in a net energy of zero and therefore, nothing. However, this has not been observed or proven conclusively.

3. How does this concept relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinitely dense matter and energy. As the universe expanded, this singularity expanded and cooled, eventually creating the matter and energy we see today. In this way, the Big Bang can be seen as a transition from "nothing" (the singularity) to "something" (the universe).

4. Can the concept of "transition from something to nothing" be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, this concept can be applied to many different scientific fields. For example, in biology, the transition from life to death can be seen as a transition from something (living cells and processes) to nothing (cessation of life). In chemistry, the transition from one chemical compound to another can also be seen as a transition from something to nothing.

5. How does the concept of "transition from something to nothing" challenge our understanding of existence?

This concept challenges our understanding of existence by questioning what truly constitutes "something" or "nothing". It also raises questions about the origins and ultimate fate of the universe, and the nature of reality itself. It is a complex and thought-provoking topic that continues to be explored and debated by scientists.