1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transition Matrix and Ordered Bases

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let B and C be ordered bases for ℝn. Let P be the matrix whose columns are the vectors in B and let Q be the matrix whose columns are the vectors in C. Prove that the transition matrix from B to C equals Q-1P.

2. Relevant equations
    An ordered basis for a vector space V is an ordered n-tuple of vectors (v1,...,vn) such that the set (v1,....,vn) is a basis for V.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that if B is the standard basis in ℝn, then the transition matrix from B to C is given by [1st vector in C 2nd vector in C ........... nth vector in C]-1.

Also, if C is a standard basis in ℝn, then the transition matrix from B to C is given by [1st vector in B 2 vector in B ......... nth vector in B].

Since I konw what the transition matrix is from B to C given different standard bases, I am having a difficult time relating this to teh columns of each.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?