1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transition Matrix of T

1. Jun 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the transition matrix ##P## of a transformation defined as
    ##T:ℝ_2→ℝ_3##
    ##T:\begin{bmatrix}a\\b\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}a+2b\\-a\\b\end{bmatrix}##

For basis

##B=\begin{bmatrix}1\\2\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}3\\-1\end{bmatrix}##

##C=\begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1\\1\\0\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}1\\1\\1\end{bmatrix}##

Verify this matrix by calculating ##Pv## and comparing the result with the actual transformation ##T(v)## for

##v=\begin{bmatrix}-7\\7\end{bmatrix}_B##

2. Relevant equations

##[x]_C=P_C←_B[x]_B##

3. The attempt at a solution

When applying ##T## the results shows

##T(v)=\begin{bmatrix}7\\7\\7\end{bmatrix}##

However, my attempts to find the transition matrix ##P## have been unsuccessful, apparently my struggle is with the fact that ##ℝ_2## maps to ##ℝ_3##, therefore the transition matrix ##P## has to be ##3x2##, thus non invertible, so I can't find it through its inverse, I attempted separating the transformation into its components like

##T(v)= a \begin{bmatrix}1\\-1\\0\end{bmatrix} + b\begin{bmatrix}2\\0\\1\end{bmatrix}##

Or ##T(B_1), T(B_2) ##

##T(B_1)= \begin{bmatrix}5\\-1\\2\end{bmatrix}##
    ##T(B_2)= \begin{bmatrix}1\\-3\\-1\end{bmatrix}##

But neither ## \begin{bmatrix}1&2\\-1&0\\0&1\end{bmatrix}## nor ##\begin{bmatrix}5&1\\-1&-3\\2&-1\end{bmatrix}## are the same as on my answer key therefore I believe my approach to this matrix is flawed.

Any advise would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2017 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Usually transition matrix is between different spaces for the same vector space. How are you defining it?

4. Jun 26, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I agree with WWGD that normally "transition matrix" means a mapping from and to the same vector space. Putting that aside...

I did not follow your method. I would write B as (b1, b2) etc. then see how to write ##\begin{bmatrix}a\\b\end{bmatrix}## as a linear combination of the vectors b1, b2. Similarly, how to write ##\begin{bmatrix}a+2b\\-a\\b\end{bmatrix}## in terms of the ci basis vectors.

5. Jun 27, 2017 #4
    Thank you both.

Indeed my problem is that I was missing the step to write the vectors in terms of Ci basis.

However I've found I have a conceptual mistake in my question. Apparently, a transition matrix is completely different from a matrix associated to a transformation, and it was the later the one I was looking for. How different are these two?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  6. Jun 27, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Transition suggests a change of state within a system. In a vector space context that would mean a transition from one state vector to another state vector within the same space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted