1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transition Probability

1. May 24, 2009 #1
    At page 190 of Bransden & Joachain (see the page from http://books.google.com/books?id=i5...nsden,+Charles+Jean+Joachain&hl=da#PPA190,M1"), there are 2 expressions for the transition probability, (4.38) and it's absolute value squared in (4.39).
    Is it just me or are the 2 term dimensionally different? Obviously everything from (4.38) is squared in (4.39) except the [itex] d\omega [/itex]. Hence they can't be the same dimensionally. How can this be right?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I am not sure what the question is, but they are both dimensionless. Probability doesn't have a unit.

4. May 24, 2009 #3
    Cyosis: Yes they are supposed to be dimensionless, but I just looked at the difference between the 2 expressions.

Note that every term from (4.38) appears squared in (4.39) except for the [itex]d\omega [/itex] term which has the same power in both, hence (4.39) is short by a factor of 1/sec.

5. May 24, 2009 #4
    In any case (4.38) is not the probability, it's the amplitude.

6. May 24, 2009 #5
    But it's supposed to be dimensionless like the probability, hence must have the same dimensions.

EDIT:
    Ok to make it more clear, then (4.38) has the form

[tex] c_b = \int_0^{\infty} f(\omega) \, d\omega [/tex]

while (4.39) has the form

[tex] |c_b|^2 = \int_0^{\infty} |f(\omega)|^2 \, d\omega [/tex]

which certainly can't be right. What's going on?

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  7. May 24, 2009 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's weird, it certainly does look dimensionally inconsistent, regardless of what cb represents.

I'm assuming ω means what it usually does and has units of s-1.

8. May 25, 2009 #7
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook