Transitional state of electrons.

In summary, the width of the box can be calculated using the formula L = √ ((1.06E-34 J*s) 2 / (8*9.11E-31kg*1.33E-19 J)), where E is the change in energy between n=3 and n=1, resulting in a 240 nm photon. However, the formula provided is missing a factor of 8, and a more accurate formula for the width of the box is L = √(hλ/cm).
airkapp
This is how I went about it but I am unsure if it is correct..
An n=3 to n=1 transition from an electron trapped in a rigid box produces a 240 nm photon. What is the width of the box?

λ = hc / E:

E = hc / λ

E = (1.06E-34 J*s * 3E8m/s) / 240nm

= 1.33E-19 J

E = h2 / 8mL2

L2 = h2 / 8mE
L = √ h2 / 8mE

L = √ ((1.06E-34 J*s) 2 / (8*9.11E-31kg*1.33E-19 J))

= 1.08E-10 m

Physics news on Phys.org
airkapp said:
This is how I went about it but I am unsure if it is correct..
An n=3 to n=1 transition from an electron trapped in a rigid box produces a 240 nm photon. What is the width of the box?
You are missing a factor of 8:

Allowed values of electron momentum are:

[tex]p = \frac{hn}{2L}[/tex]

Since [itex]E = p^2/2m[/itex], the allowed energy values are:

[tex]E = \frac{n^2h^2}{4L^2}\frac{1}{2m} =n^2\frac{h^2}{8mL^2}[/tex]

The change in energy between n=3 and n=1 results in the photon (E=hv):

[tex]\Delta E = (9-1)\frac{h^2}{8mL^2} = \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex]

[tex]L^2 = 8\frac{h\lambda}{8cm}[/tex]

[tex]L = \sqrt{\frac{h\lambda}{cm}}[/tex]

AM

Therefore, the width of the box is approximately 108 picometers. This calculation assumes a one-dimensional box, as the question does not specify the dimensions of the box. If the box is two or three-dimensional, the calculation would change accordingly.

What is a transitional state of electrons?

The transitional state of electrons refers to the temporary state that electrons can be in when they move from one energy level to another within an atom. This state is also known as an excited state.

How do electrons transition between energy levels?

Electrons transition between energy levels when they either absorb or emit energy. This energy can come from various sources such as heat, light, or electric fields. When an electron absorbs energy, it moves to a higher energy level. When it emits energy, it moves to a lower energy level.

What happens to electrons in their transitional state?

When electrons are in their transitional state, they are in an unstable state and will eventually return to their original energy level. To do this, they must release the energy they absorbed in the form of light or heat. This process is known as the emission of radiation.

Can transitional states of electrons be observed?

Yes, transitional states of electrons can be observed through spectroscopy. Spectroscopy is a technique that uses light to study the interaction between matter and energy. By analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by electrons, scientists can determine the energy levels and transitional states of electrons in an atom.

What is the significance of transitional states of electrons?

Transitional states of electrons play a crucial role in many natural processes, including chemical reactions, photosynthesis, and the functioning of electronic devices. By understanding these states, scientists can better understand the behavior of atoms and molecules, leading to advancements in various fields of science and technology.