Transitioning from general calculus to advanced math and physics

In summary, when considering which math class to take after multi-variable calculus, it is important to consider your future goals and the requirements of your transfer institution. It may be beneficial to take both linear algebra and differential equations. To prepare for these higher level math classes, review and practice the material from your current classes and seek out additional resources if needed.
kbw
Hello all,
I am currently taking Calculus 1B at my school which basically covers integral and will be finishing up Calculus 1C (series) by June. I fell in love with math recently (calculus 1A) so I'm not very familiar with all the math classes out there. Over the summer, I plan to take Calculus D, which is multi-variable calculus but from there, I'm quite unsure about what I should take in my fall quarter (I attend a quarter system community college). I don't want my fall quarter to be too stressful due to transfer applications but my schedule is:
Organic Chemistry 1
Biology 1C
Physics for Scientists and Engineers 1
MATH-?

I am unsure of which math class to take. After multi-variable calculus (or rather Calculus 1C) you are given the choice of going into Linear Algebra or, after Calculus D, into differential equations. Which math class should I then take over fall, Linear Algebra or Differential Equations? Also, do you guys have any tips as to how I can prepare for these higher level math classes (Calculus 1D, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on what your goals are. If you plan to pursue a degree in mathematics or engineering, linear algebra and differential equations will both be important topics. However, if you are planning to transfer to a four-year college or university, the institution you are transferring to may have specific requirements for their math classes. It is best to check with your transfer school to see which math classes they require. If you are not sure, then it is probably best to take both linear algebra and differential equations. That way, you will have the knowledge and skills needed for either path. To prepare for higher level math classes, you should review the material from your current math classes and make sure that you understand the concepts. If there are any topics that you are struggling with, it is also a good idea to seek out additional resources such as online tutorials, textbooks, or tutoring services. Finally, try to practice as many problems as possible, as this will help you to become comfortable with the material and better prepared for the class.

1. How do I know if I am ready to move on from general calculus to advanced math and physics?

The best way to determine if you are ready to transition is by consistently performing well in your general calculus courses and having a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts. Additionally, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and geometry.

2. What are some key topics that I should review before starting advanced math and physics?

Some key topics to review before transitioning include derivatives and integrals, vector calculus, differential equations, and basic principles of mechanics and electromagnetism. It is also important to have a good understanding of mathematical proofs and logic.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in computer programming for advanced math and physics?

While having a background in programming can be helpful, it is not necessary for advanced math and physics courses. However, some courses may require the use of programming languages such as MATLAB or Python for data analysis or simulations.

4. How can I prepare for the increased level of difficulty in advanced math and physics courses?

To prepare for the increased difficulty, it is important to consistently practice and review concepts from previous courses. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online lectures, or tutoring to supplement your understanding.

5. What can I expect from the teaching style and methods in advanced math and physics courses?

In advanced math and physics courses, the focus is more on conceptual understanding and problem-solving rather than memorization. Professors may use a combination of lectures, problem sets, and group discussions to facilitate learning. It is important to actively engage in class and seek help when needed.